"ICW Trip 2001 Leg 16-Isle of Palms to Johns Is. SC" Johns Island Travelogue by grandmaR
Johns Island Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 23 photos
Bob turned in the rental car and I was moving things to the cockpit when I discovered that my pocketmail was missing. I ran out to the parking lot barefoot and waited for the rental car guy (Enterrpise) would return Bob to the marina, and looked in the rental car, but it wasn't there. I called Rob (after I'd emptied every possible place on the boat) and sure enough it was there. He brought it to me and also the two pictures that Lucette sent them that they printed out for me. (One of them is my VT member picture)
We finally got underway about 9:45. We turned into the waterway right behind CASIOPEIA from Canada who we first met in the Dismal Swamp. The Ben Sawyer bridge made us wait a little bit, but not much, and we went on down
past the light house on the end of Sullivan's Island.
We crossed Charleston harbor upstream of Ft. Sumter. There was a ferry there.
TOURNE BRISE from Montreal that we met in Elizabeth City was behind us at the Ben Sawyer bridge, but they went up towards Charleston Harbor Marina.
We went into the Ashley River with the current against us, and up past the Battery. I saw a big BLACK bus which had a name something like Royal Tours on it cruising slowly down the street along the waterfront.
When we came up to the anchorage in front of City Marina, we saw BANDERSNATCH anchored there, but their dinghy White Rabbit wasn't there.
The Wappo Creek bridge wasn't very cooperative, so we had to wait until 12:30.
The maximum current against us in Elliot Cut (4 knots) was to be between 12 and 1. Fortunately the Cut isn't long.
CASIOPEIA turned off and anchored behind a little grass island.
We came out into the Stono River. I had made a reservation at Ross Marine, so we headed there and tied up before 2 pm after a total trip of only 19 miles.
JOLIE DAME was already here. They were washing and putting away their dink. PENELOPE JAYNE and CJ VI came in afterwards (both from Canada). Last was a boat named ENKIDU from Wickford RI. There is a LOT of current here - the knotmeter says that we are going 1 knot in the slip.
Tomorrow: Beaufort SC
grandmaR's Related Pages
Johns Island Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Johns Island
- 4 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Johns Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johns Island
- Posted in Travel Yosemite National Park Forum "Re: Driving from SFO to Yosemite"
- updated a Johns Island Travelogue "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 16-Isle of Palms to Johns Is. SC"
- Uploaded a Photo to "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 16-Isle of Palms to Johns Is. SC"
- Wrote a Review Near the marina and bridge in Johns Island Restaurants
Photos in Johns IslandSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues