"First Visit (Spr. 2001) & Last Visit (Spr. 2002)" Georgetown Travelogue by grandmaR
Georgetown Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 102 photos
We were tied up in Georgetown by 4:30 at a marina called The Boat Shed. We had done 53.9 miles at 6 mph. JANET ANN was already there, and we were behind another trawler named CIRCE. There was a cute little boy from a boat named TWILIGHT TIME fishing off the pier.
Bob walked up into town and I downloaded e-mail. STEEL MAGNOLIA, GOOSE CHASE, SUN CHASER and ODYSSEY all anchored right in front on the clock on the rice museum off Georgetown. I heard the first 3 making arrangements to have dinner together because GOOSE CHASE didn't want to leave their dog alone on the boat.
We walked up into town. BOb thinks they've missed a bet by having everything close down at 4:30 or 5. There were only two restaurants open past 6. We ate at the River Room. I had a scallop, shrimp and cheese dish which was very rich. I ate all the veggies - salad, mashed potatoes, and a broccoli and squash mix, and the hard rolls, but I couldn't finish the casserole so I asked to take it back with me. The waitress forgot and threw it out. We had bread pudding for dessert, but instead of the light lemon cream sauce I'm used to it was a heavy sugary sauce with strawberry and kiwi fruit garnish. Anyway the waitress didn't charge for my dinner because she forgot and threw it out
JANET ANN leaves early and the CIRCE extricates himself from in front of us. STEEL MAGNOLIA and SUN CHASER and ODYSSEA leave - STEEL MAGNOLIA is bound for Barefoot Landing. We are only going to Wacha Wachee, so we leave at a more leisurely time. We are not going outside through the Georgetown inlet because the wind isn't going to be in the right direction. We see GOOSE CHASE leaving, and we pull out after them.
GOOSE CHASE calls us on the radio (calls us a sloop, but that's OK I guess) and says to get out our camera because there is a bald eagle on the daymark. It did look exactly like a bald eagle, but I thought bald eagles were bigger. I did take a photo, but it was against the sun.
GOOSE CHASE and the others were talking on the radio and TWILIGHT ZONE passed him and caused the boat to rock and broke some stuff so GOOSE CHASE complained on the radio.
Next: Wacca Wachi
We did the 54 miles to Georgetown. I got some pictures of the Rice Museum (not open as usual) and we ate at the Rice Paddy(expensive -in an old bank). This time the restaurant that had gone out of business was Sid and Luthers, which we had never eaten at.
We left Georgetown and went just 21 miles to the Wacca Wachee marina on the Waccamaw River. From here we went to Brookgreen Gardens in a marina truck. We had a couple of hours here to look at the statuary.
A boat named ARCTURUS which was behind us at Isle of Palms, and left before us came into the marina right behind us in Georgetown. They have 2 large poodles. They told us that they were going to Myrtle Beach the next day, and we thought that was too far, as the wind would be on the nose and the current was against us too. They left Georgetown before we did, and decided to stop at Wacca Wachee too.
More Travelogues (1)
grandmaR's Related Pages
Georgetown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Summer, 2003"
- "georgetown south carolina"
- "ICW Trip 2001 Leg 14 Georgetown SC"
- "Georgetown: Charleston's Little Sister"
- "Georgetown, South Carolina"
- "Around town"
- "Some Georgetown Scenes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Georgetown
- Hotels in Georgetown
- Nightlife in Georgetown
- Restaurants in Georgetown
- Shopping in Georgetown
- Warnings and Dangers in Georgetown
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Georgetown
- 17 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Georgetown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Georgetown
Photos in GeorgetownSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues