"2002, April 6 - Brookgreen Gardens - second part" Murrells Inlet Travelogue by grandmaR
Murrells Inlet Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 59 photos
Several of the sculptures were these life-like ones of ordinary people involved in ordinary activities. I've seen these type sculptures in Dallas and in Princeton. This one is "Len Ganeway" by Derek Wernher
When commissioned to create a sculpture that symbolized the readers of a country newspaper in rural Michigan, Derek Wernher decided that a farmer sitting on a park bench would be the perfect choice. The title of the sculpture is the pen name of the newspaper's editor, Bronze 1980
There was a special exhibit of scuptures of famous people. This was the one of Martha Graham. It was hard to take a photo inside without having it be blurred or have reflections of the flash.
Pomona by Joseph Emile Renier (1887-1966) Tennessee marble, designed in 1929, and carved in marble in the spring of 1937 - she's prettier from the back
My parents went to Brookgreen in 1959. They took some additional photos
Pastoral by Edmond Romulus Amateis (1897 - 1981) Amateis was drawn to the work of the Italian Renaissance. Originally titled 'Mirafiore' this sculpture was modeled at Rome in 1924 when Amateis was a student at the American Academy
Nymph and Fawn-Bronze, 1922 -Height: 4 ft. 10 in. by Carl Paul JENNEWEIN
Modeled in 1922, this sculpture won the competition for the Darlington Memorial Fountain placed in Court House Square at Washington, D.C. This, the only other casting, was formerly located at Rydal, Pennsylvania, in the garden of Charles Louis Borie, a close friend of the sculptor. This sculpture was awarded the Fairmount Park Association Prize of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in 1926. It was acquired by Brookgreen Gardens in 1940.
Lion sculpture (one of two) 1930 - Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington
A boat named ARCTURUS was behind us at Isle of Palms, and left before us came into the marina right behind us in Georgetown. They have 2 large poodles. In Georgetown, they told us that they were going to Myrtle Beach the next day. Se thought that was too far, as the wind would be on the nose and the current was against us too. They left Georgetown before we did, and decided to stop at Wacca Wachee too.
Next Myrtle Beach
grandmaR's Related Pages
Murrells Inlet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Murrells Inlet, South Carolina"
- "Wacamaw River and Brookgreen Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murrells Inlet
- Hotels in Murrells Inlet
- Nightlife in Murrells Inlet
- Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
- Shopping in Murrells Inlet
- Warnings and Dangers in Murrells Inlet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murrells Inlet
- 6 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (179)
Have you been to Murrells Inlet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murrells Inlet
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Travel pages"
- updated a Murrells Inlet Travel Page "Wacamaw River and Brookgreen Gardens"
- Uploaded a Photo to "2000, November 19-20 The Rockpile in the Rain"
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Murrells Inlet travel pages
- Wrote a Review Oaks Plantation in 1959 in Murrells Inlet Things to Do
Photos in Murrells InletSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 724 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 74 reviews, 316 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 50 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 46 reviews, 254 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Murrells Inlet hotel reviews
- Royal Garden Resort (1210 N Waccamaw Dr )
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Ellington Resort At Wachsaw E
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- International Club Villas
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2010
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites-Murrells Inlet
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013