"2002, April 6 - Visit to Brookgreen Gardens" Murrells Inlet Travelogue by grandmaR
Murrells Inlet Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 59 photos
We left Georgetown and went just 21 miles to the Wacca Wachee marina on the Waccamaw River. This was the third time we'd been here, but we'd never before taken the opportunity to visit Brookgreen Gardens.
One of the guys working at the marina took us over and dropped us off using the marina truck. We had a couple of hours here to look at the statuary and really didn't even scratch the surface of what could be seen. The gardens were beyond beautiful.
We walked in through the main gardens, down the alleyway of live oaks, and saw the end of the 15 minute film about the garden history.
We also walked through the special sculpture exhibit, and the building in which the floor was a large map of the area. We could pick out the marina on it. I took lots of pictures particularly of horses (like this 'seahorse')
From the west end of the garden we could look out over the marshes toward the river. This photo shows one of two sculptures - one of Diana, and this is of Actaeon who according to myth, surprised the goddess of the hunt as she bathed in a woodland pool. For this trespass, Diana turned him into a stag and he was killed by his own hounds.
We also took a tram tour out to the edges of the property but didn't have time for some other tours. The tour was very interesting, but hard to take pictures from.
Additional pictures in the other narrative.
grandmaR's Related Pages
Murrells Inlet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely Murrells Inlet, South Carolina"
- "Wacamaw River and Brookgreen Gardens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Murrells Inlet
- Hotels in Murrells Inlet
- Nightlife in Murrells Inlet
- Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
- Shopping in Murrells Inlet
- Warnings and Dangers in Murrells Inlet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Murrells Inlet
- 6 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (187)
Have you been to Murrells Inlet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Murrells Inlet
- Posted in Travel England Forum "iPhone use in England"
- updated a Murrells Inlet Travel Page "Wacamaw River and Brookgreen Gardens"
- Uploaded a Photo to "2000, November 19-20 The Rockpile in the Rain"
- Commented on one of KimberlyAnn's Murrells Inlet travel pages
- Wrote a Review Oaks Plantation in 1959 in Murrells Inlet Things to Do
Photos in Murrells InletSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 728 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 154 reviews, 560 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 75 reviews, 341 photos, 11 travelogues
- London Intro, 77 reviews, 301 photos, 6 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 297 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 51 reviews, 293 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 240 photos, 6 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 56 reviews, 253 photos, 7 travelogues