"The North Shore" Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Travelogue by zrim
Minnesota Travel Guide: 2,903 reviews and 5,617 photos
The shoreline of Lake Superior from Duluth to the Canadian border is called the "North Shore" by most Minnesotans. Highway 61 hugs the coastline the entire way and reminds me of Highway 1 in California. Obviously, there is a big difference in that our North Shore is icy, snowy and cold much of the year. But it is almost as dramatic as its counterpart in California.
The photo opposite is one of the many waterfalls along the North Shore. This one is called Gooseberry Falls and is the first real sight heading northward from Duluth.
Cliffs and coves dot the coastline. If you look carefully, you can spot the Split Rock Lighthouse on top of this cliff on the upper left corner.
There are great hikes every few miles along the North Shore. Basically, you can just pick a river, park your car and start hiking upstream. Sometimes you come across a chasm as seen here.
Summers are short in this north country. The ice sometimes lingers on lakes until mid May. And the leaves begin to turn at the end of August. However, life thrives in this harsh climate. Wildflowers are abundant despite a two month growing season.
Wintertime can be especially thrilling as Lake Superior bashes the shoreline leaving the rocky coast covered in sheets of ice.
More Travelogues (2)
Written Jun 10, 2004
Counties I have visited
Written Nov 8, 2004
Aurora Borealis, November 7, 2004
zrim's Related Pages
Minnesota Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where I live--the land of 10,000 lakes"
- "Minnesota Back Roads and Byways"
- "Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary, near Orr, MN-bears"
- "Minnesota – Gopher State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minnesota
- Hotels in Minnesota
- Transportation in Minnesota
- Nightlife in Minnesota
- Restaurants in Minnesota
- Shopping in Minnesota
- Warnings and Dangers in Minnesota
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minnesota
- 168 Reviews
- 229 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Minnesota?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minnesota
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 90 reviews, 108 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kootenay National Park Intro, 46 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jasper National Park Intro, 44 reviews, 45 photos
- Northfield Intro, 28 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minnesota Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gent Intro, 37 reviews, 38 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 33 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tortuguero Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Dakota Intro, 33 reviews, 34 photos