"More Views" Kortrijk Travelogue by filipdebont
Kortrijk Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 692 photos
The sturdy Broel towers situates along the Broel quay are the only remains of a Medieval (military) building. These big, but graceful towers are well preserved.
The two towers are called “Speytorre or blue tower – 1386) and the Inghelburghtorre – 1413)
These towers protect the bridge across the Leie River.
In the middle of this bridge you see the statue of Johannes Nepomucemus, the patron saint of Bohemia.
At the end of each World War they had to rebuild these towers.
Old postcard of the Broel towers, It's funny to compare this old view with the ones I made a few weeks ago, the big buildings in the back aren't there yet.
Close to the Broel towers you find the Kapucijnestraat, at the end of this street is the Pentascoop, a Cinema complex with five screens, but the street is a good place for fun and pleasure in one of the cosy cafes or when the weather is good in one of the sidewalk cafes.
You reach the Groeninge Veld following the Voorstraat
At the right side you see the monumental entry gate (height : 14m).
This park is a green oasis in the middle of a busy city, it is a good place to sit down and take a little rest.
The Groeninge monument is a tribute to the local heroes who fought in the Battle of the Golden Spurs. The Groeninge monument dates from 1906.
Near the city walls of Kortrijk (near the Groeningelaan) at July the 11th 1302 there was a big battle.
The French Nobles of Philips de Schone were defeated by the Guilds of Ieper and Brugge. (see also my Brugge page where this fight for freedom started with the Brugse Metten).
This battle is the beginning of the foundation of an independent Belgium.
On top of the monument you see the Virgin of Flanders.
She waves triumphantly with a scythe, while she holds the lion who has broken his chains.
filipdebont's Related Pages
Kortrijk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KORTRIJK VT MEETING 9th MAY 2009"
- "Meeting in kortrijk"
- "VT meeting"
- "Kortrijk / Courtrai"
- "Kortrijk with our guides Patrick and Lea"
- "K O R T R I J K"
- "7 Centuries in 1 day (and 41 VT-ers to entertain!)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kortrijk
- Hotels in Kortrijk
- Transportation in Kortrijk
- Nightlife in Kortrijk
- Restaurants in Kortrijk
- Shopping in Kortrijk
- Warnings and Dangers in Kortrijk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kortrijk
- 16 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 58 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Kortrijk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kortrijk
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vienna Intro, 138 reviews, 487 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 199 reviews, 220 photos, 3 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 74 reviews, 254 photos
- Singapore Intro, 72 reviews, 186 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Petersburg Intro, 106 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 93 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santiago Intro, 47 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination De Efteling Intro, 86 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pisa Intro, 76 reviews, 103 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 147 photos, 16 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (63)
Latest Kortrijk hotel reviews
- Center Hotel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Kortrijk Centrum
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Groeninge
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2009
- Hotel Messeyne
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Belfort
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2013
- Hotel Ter Linde
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2012
- Bed & Breakfast Full House
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 26, 2012