"Staying at Lucaya 23-25 Feb 2001" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya Travelogue by grandmaR

Lucaya Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 178 photos

Friday, February 23, 2001

Bob decided to go into town -he wanted to see if he could get an offset screw driver, some little ignition wrenches (to repair the Johnson outboard) that he hadn't been able to get in Bimini, and some R12. He also wanted to go to the supermarket. I thought Friday would be better than Sat, and definitely better than Sunday when things are closed.

The people in the nearby slips (a DuFour 31 named MIRAGE on one side with a young couple from the Pacific NW - their friends sailed down the west coast and thru the canal, and up to FL and the Bahamas, and then they traded -their friends flew back to the NW to work and live in these folks house, and these guys took over the boat and on the other side a 30 something foot boat with a young guy named Tim. He was single handing since his girl friend had to go back to work: and a boat named for the genus of the Blue Crab who signs on to Southbound II (Herb runs a weather service for cruisers on the SSB) as JOY because Herb can't pronounce their boat name, and I can't spell it either) said that there was a WinnDixie about a mile away, but the better one was in Freeport, and there was an ACE hardware store there too. They said the bus (which was mini vans - private owners) would only be $1.

The people near us were going with some other people in their dinghies to snorkel. That would have been nice - they apparently had a good time. Although I'm not sure that we could get back into our dinghy.

Bob was getting ready to leave, and asked me if I was coming. I asked him if he needed me to navigate, as I wasn't really interested in shopping. He said it would be nice to have me along. I assumed he was going to rent a car and would want me to read the map, so I said OK. But he was taking the bus, and I suspected that a lot of walking would be involved and I should leave him to his own shopping devices. I was right.

We walked out to the road by a little deli-restaurant place, and got the van which took us in as far as the Winn Dixie. One of the marina folks said to go all the way to the PO which was the end of the line, and we should have done that because later we didn't know where the PO was. We went to the ACE hardware store and discovered that it was closed, as in out of business. We went to the bus area - which had a dispatcher like a taxi rank, and the people there said to take another bus to Kelly's. So we did that. Bob found a few things, but not the wrenches.

So we asked there, for an auto parts store, and they told us to go to A.I.D. and gave him directions to walk. He had the map, and he didn't look on it to see where it was. It didn't sound like it was too far, but...

Bob started off walking and we walked and walked and walked (it was near noon now, and hot). We walked through a very industrial area, with printing plants, etc. Finally reached the store. He did find some R12, and most of the other things, but not the wrenches.

Now we had to get back to the Winn Dixie. I said I was not walking. He could carry me, or call a cab or rent a car, but I wasn't walking. So they called a cab for us, and we taxied back for $3.20. (The starting rate is something like $2.00 for 1/4 mile and $1.00 for each additional 1/4 mile)

We wanted to have lunch and couldn't see any place to eat except Burger King, KFC, Subway etc. So we started out on foot to look for a place to eat. After trying two local places and finding that they were closed (as in not opening for lunch), we finally ended up at KFC (after a lot more walking). After lunch, Bob went back to the Winn Dixie, and I followed at my leisure (after getting the map from him) and sat outside and waited for him. Now we had to find the PO to get the bus back. More walking.

The bus took us a different route back - went by the other marinas and hotels along the shore. When we walked back to the boat, we found out they were having a fish fry by the pool. We decided to go.This was a disappointment. I thought we'd be able to talk to other people, but there weren't enough tables, and they were all full, so we had to sit in lounge chairs by the pool, and that isn't very comfortable.

Also, they had a fish fry dinner, fried chicken dinner and lobster salad. We assumed that lobster salad was also a dinner, but it was not - it was just a salad ($10 @ ). So we ate and then went back to the boat.

Saturday and Sunday, February 24-25, 2001

Saturday, Bob went up and did laundry in the laundry room, and he also wanted to go into town again. I went up to use the bathroom and download pocketmail, and it took me so long that he decided it was too late to go into town. So he spent time washing the boat down and polishing stuff, and cetoling the brightwork.

I found that there was an internet cafe over in Port Lucaya, so I took the computer over there. I spent most of the afternoon there but they absolutely couldn't get my computer logged on at all. I finally used their computer for about 15 minutes (at 20 cents/minute which is cheaper than a phone call), and looked at email etc. Then I took the shuttle back.

We took the shuttle over again and had dinner at Giovannis, which was a really good Italian restaurant - really small though.

Sunday, Bob went up to take a swim in the pool (which was heated) and take a shower, and I did too, but I left after him, and he'd already done swimming when I got there.

Herb said the winds would be light from the SW the next day. We originally thought we'd go to Great Stirrup Cay in the Berry Islands, but SW winds would be no good for that, and it was 55 miles which was a long way against the wind and current. Herb thought that Tuesday would be better as the wind would be NE. Then Bob could have gone into town Monday. Our projected itinerary was to go to Great Stirrup Tuesday and anchor (but anchorage questionable and it was a long trip). Then to go to Great Harbor Weds (short trip) and take a mooring someone from the CSY group offered us. Then to go to Chubb Cay Thursday (short trip), and Friday and Saturday go across the Grand Bahamas Banks to Cat Cay or Gun Cay (but that involved anchoring on the Banks), and from there to go back to Miami as soon as the weather was appropriate.

But I was getting itchy, and it sounded like the winds were going to come from the north again soon, and I decided we ought to take the change and go to Miami now. JOY was going back to Lake Worth. It was 90 miles to Miami, so it would be more than 12 hours.

So we took the shuttle in to Port Lucaya and had dinner at a Greek restaurant, and then came home and went to bed early to prepare.

Leaving Lucaya

• Page Updated Sep 5, 2006

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Lucaya