"Fishing With My Cousins" Calasetta Travelogue by giampiero6
Calasetta Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 98 photos
As a child, I grew up playing on the fishing boats and little row boats of my uncles and cousins. I'd spend lazy afternoon wasting time, mending nets, setting tiny crab traps, pearl diving, rowing. It was magic. Some of my fondest memories are of going out on the traditional wooden with my cousins as they pulling in nets of strange animals, skates, spiny scorfani, big blue tunas, eels, squids, and most impressively octopus. My uncle used to kill them by biting them between the eyes while the tentacles grasped and curled around his head. What a sight!
The boats leave early in the morning before dark and reach the markers for their nets around dawn. Underneath a rows of small nets about 8 feet high sit at the bottom collecting today's catch.
Things are a big more mechanized now and 2 guys can haul in the nets over the wheel.
Here's the days first catch a big plump and highly prized pagaro.
This is a San Pietro Fish..wierd looking an spiny but very tasty! I can attest.
This is a ray that was caught. It's a little wierd cause from underneath they look like they have a human face with eyes and a mouth. The wings are cut off and used in soups and stews.
This half eaten fish fell prey to a dolphin who cruise the nets and grab the choicest spots. It's heartening and sad to hear my cousin moan about the dolphins wreaking havoc on the fish, cause it means that they're around.
This is a cuttlefish or sepia (from whose ink the term sepia comes) The strange chalky floating bones of the cuttlefish always fascinated me as a child and are the title of one of Eugenio Montale's most famous collection of poems.
- See All Sample the Beaches!
- See All Pescheria Flli. Pittaluga
- See All Cagliari Airport
- See All Ferry from Calasetta to Carloforte
- See All Calasetta History--From The Sea
giampiero6's Related Pages
Calasetta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calasetta, Sardegna"
- "Authentic Sardinia"
- "a taste of sardegna..."
- "Che paradiso! Per pochi..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calasetta
- Hotels in Calasetta
- Transportation in Calasetta
- Nightlife in Calasetta
- Restaurants in Calasetta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calasetta
- 22 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 103 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Calasetta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calasetta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Judge Rules Airbnb illegal in..."
- Commented on the Calasetta travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pescheria Flli. Pittaluga"
- updated a Calasetta Travelogue "Olive Harvest and Making Oil"
- Commented on one of jeffmartinartist's Calasetta travel pages
- Wrote a Review Sample the Beaches! in Calasetta Favorites
Photos in CalasettaSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Carisolo Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Calasetta Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination West Hollywood Intro, 1 review, 82 photos, 9 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 29 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Monica Intro, 25 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Japan Intro, 18 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naples Intro, 2 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malibu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos