"ICW Trip 2001Leg 7 Elizabeth City-Alligator River" Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue by grandmaR

November 2, 2001

As we came out of the Pasquotank River into Albemarle Sound, we could see the line of boats to the east coming from the VA cut route. The waves, if any, were 3 to 6 inches and not 2 feet. There was about 8 or 9 knots of wind, so Bob put up the staysail.

We went into the Alligator River Marina, which is renown for low fuel prices. It is also a truck stop. We got fuel for $.959/gal. We had dinner at the truck stop - most of us had NC barbecue (vinegar based, not tomato based) but Lucette had a fried oyster sandwich. I'll have to remember that I'm not fond of NC BBQ. We watched the weather channel.

November 3, 2001

We stayed here another night - it is cheap, and we want to get into Belhaven during the week so that things will be open. Bob washed the whole boat, and we got showers and Lucette and Max did their wash. You have to be careful when you take a shower. The lights are on a timer, and if you don't give yourself enough time you are likely to end up wet and soapy in the dark.

Everyone that was here last night (including the trawler with the cat that walked on a leash) has left. Bob fried ham for dinner. Some more people came in - CASIOPEIA from Canada, and POLARIS JACK who were at a NY marina on 9-11.

November 4, 2001 - my birthday

We got underway early. CASIOPEIA left the marina first, and then just before we backed out, the Island Packet POLARIS JACK came out and then behind us was the power boat from Cobb Island. We were all under the bridge by 7:20

I took a digital picture of CASIOPEIA thinking I would give them a copy, but never saw them close up again (although we did see them in Elliot's Cut in Charleston - but that wasn't a place we could stop and say hi)

• Page Updated Jan 17, 2004

Comments

grandmaR

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Badges & Stats in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge

Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge?