"ICW Trip 2001Leg 7 Elizabeth City-Alligator River" Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue by grandmaR
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 56 photos
As we came out of the Pasquotank River into Albemarle Sound, we could see the line of boats to the east coming from the VA cut route. The waves, if any, were 3 to 6 inches and not 2 feet. There was about 8 or 9 knots of wind, so Bob put up the staysail.
We went into the Alligator River Marina, which is renown for low fuel prices. It is also a truck stop. We got fuel for $.959/gal. We had dinner at the truck stop - most of us had NC barbecue (vinegar based, not tomato based) but Lucette had a fried oyster sandwich. I'll have to remember that I'm not fond of NC BBQ. We watched the weather channel.
We stayed here another night - it is cheap, and we want to get into Belhaven during the week so that things will be open. Bob washed the whole boat, and we got showers and Lucette and Max did their wash. You have to be careful when you take a shower. The lights are on a timer, and if you don't give yourself enough time you are likely to end up wet and soapy in the dark.
Everyone that was here last night (including the trawler with the cat that walked on a leash) has left. Bob fried ham for dinner. Some more people came in - CASIOPEIA from Canada, and POLARIS JACK who were at a NY marina on 9-11.
We got underway early. CASIOPEIA left the marina first, and then just before we backed out, the Island Packet POLARIS JACK came out and then behind us was the power boat from Cobb Island. We were all under the bridge by 7:20
I took a digital picture of CASIOPEIA thinking I would give them a copy, but never saw them close up again (although we did see them in Elliot's Cut in Charleston - but that wasn't a place we could stop and say hi)
More Travelogues (4)
Written Apr 16, 2009
2000, November 10-11 Traversing the Alligator
Written Apr 11, 2005
Alligator River North to Coinjock April 2001
Written Apr 11, 2005
Coming north thru the Alligator River - April 2002
Written Oct 2, 2010
Last Visit to the Alligator - April 2004
grandmaR's Related Pages
Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICW along the Alligator River - no alligators"
- Create a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travel Page
- Things to Do in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Restaurants in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- 6 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (522)
Have you been to Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge
- Posted in Travel Finland Forum "Re: STATE DEPARTMENT TRAVEL WARNING"
- updated a Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Travelogue "Last Visit to the Alligator - April 2004"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Alligator River Refuge"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge travel pages
- Wrote a Review MM 105 Anchorage at head of Canal in Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Alligator River National Wildlife RefugeSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 166 reviews, 733 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 174 reviews, 659 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 177 reviews, 401 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 77 reviews, 379 photos, 13 travelogues
- London Intro, 78 reviews, 305 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 56 reviews, 306 photos, 9 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 298 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marathon Intro, 93 reviews, 252 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 57 reviews, 258 photos, 7 travelogues
- Leonardtown Intro, 48 reviews, 264 photos, 8 travelogues