"A Primer on VT Meetings" Personal Page by frankcanfly
What is a VT Meeting? There are often misunderstandings about what goes on. There is no definitive answer, because they are all different.
In theory, a VT meeting consists of a group of travellers and virtual tourists that get together and talk about their experiences on this earth; an exchange of knowledge.
Sometimes the meetings take on the mood of the host, or maybe the mood of the host city. They can be an exploration and informative about local culture, and they can be strickly a party. The biggest 'party' meetings seem to be located in cities populated by many VTers. Some of them are just plain silly.
Often a VT meeting can be between two individuals and begin in a coffee shop, but most are larger groups. I've experienced all types of meetings. You can certainly browse these pages and get the wrong impression, but you can look further and see that there is truly a compradery among VTers.
Since I travel for a living, I've had many VTers show me around their town when I pass through. I always get the local perspective, and it's always rewarding.
When Mark (acemj) gave me a driving tour of Charlotte, much like the driving tours of Baltimore I've given so many others, I realized the significance of this website. It really is about TRAVEL. It focuses on the culture of people, the history of places, and the things that you should really see when you are visiting. Since then I've been given the insight to so many destinations, and turned virtual friends into real friends.
I've discovered that VTers that join the site, and contribute to make it a better site, are often very interesting people. Actually, I've only had one negative experience.... sorry, no names.
So browse the VT meeting pages, but take it all with a grain of salt. VTer's are silly sometimes, and they joke about everything. Sometimes the jokes are clean, sometimes they include sexual innuendo. Sure, your perception is your reality, but things aren't always as they appear either.
See the Travelogue
Catherine and I organized this one. It consisted of a pleasant dinner and a walk around downtown Boston.
See the Travelogue
This was one of those silly meetings, hosted by Laura (Hayward68). It was focused on a beer festival (clue #1) and attended by beer lovers (clue #2).
I saw Dave & Norine 2 years later in Kansas City while passing through.
There was a sniper on the loose in Washington during this meeting, did we care?
Stephanie came to town from VT headquarters, and we got T-shirts! I met Chris (cjg1) and Tania (skye0820) here, and have seen both of them many times since. Chris has become the King of VT Meetings, this one was his first.
After a few false beginnings, I finally made it to San Francisco to meet
They suggested the famous EL MANSOUR Restaurant in the Richmond section of San Francisco. Plenty of finger foods, belly dancing and beer. G_G also passed 'Baton_West' to me, to bring to Chris in NYC.
I hosted the first annual "Baltoberfest" meeting in my hometown in 2003. We had some great Cuban food, cruised in the water taxi and explored on-foot until after dark. oops, I completely missed the opportunity in 2004, but wait until Oct 2005!
Here's another Silly Meeting I hosted. We just went there because of the town's name. Nobody in this photo is normal.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 2,603 Reviews
- 4,987 Photos
- 53 Countries
- 199 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
updated their Profile Page "Upcoming adventures: South Africa? Sweden? Brazil?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "I need a good beer"
- frankcanfly and Manyana are now friends.
- Commented on mcaffa's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: My Personal Nightmare..."
- created a Agdam Travel Page "The lost Azeri city of Agdam"
- Wrote a Review My first all-inclusive resort... in Montelimar Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baltimore Intro, 183 reviews, 243 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 116 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doha Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 57 reviews, 98 photos, 4 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 36 reviews, 91 photos
- San Juan Intro, 16 reviews, 106 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Little Rock Intro, 45 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province of Nova Scotia Intro, 37 reviews, 70 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lima Intro, 27 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anchorage Intro, 44 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22161 Reviews - 53866 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15523 Reviews - 30893 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23058 Reviews - 47256 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11941 Reviews - 26470 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1927 Reviews - 3713 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17013 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1908 Reviews - 4459 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4278 Reviews - 8803 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7498 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2036 Reviews - 3787 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7630 Reviews - 19467 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos