"Jasper National Park" Jasper National Park Travelogue by spartan
Jasper National Park Travel Guide: 421 reviews and 1,035 photos
WARNING!!! - These deep, ice-cold cracks in the glacier lie hidden below a thin covering of snow that may collapse under a person's weight.
WARNING!!! - Millwells--places where meltwater plunges down deep vertical shafts in the ice--are slippery around their entrances and extremely dangerous. Glacier travel should be attempted only by experienced and properly equipped mountaineers.
About 30 minutes south of the Jasper townsite is the Athabasca Falls turnoff. The Athabasca River cascades over a shelf of 570 million year old quartzite, uncovered by glaciers as they receded at the end of the last ice age, forming Athabasca Falls.
There are lots of short trails to explore on both sides of the falls. Please be careful and stay behind the railings. People have fallen to their deaths in the past by not heeding this warning. There are numberous potholes at the base of the falls and the river is more placid than above the falls.
This is the second largest glacial lake in the world, the largest being in Russia. There is a 1.5 hour fully narrated 45 km cruise on Maligne Lake (I would highly suggest that you go on the cruise).
Located 48 km southeast of the Jasper Townsite; go south on Highway 16 then turn on to Maligne Road.
Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park is the locale of the world-famous Canadian Rockies landmark - Spirit Island.
spartan's Related Pages
Jasper National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Wind Whispers Jasper"
- "Crown Jewel of the Canadian National Park System"
- "The beautiful Jasper National Park in Alberta."
- "Jasper, Mother Nature's Masterpiece"
- "WELCOME TO JASPER NATIONAL PARK"
- "A dream come true."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jasper National Park
- Hotels in Jasper National Park
- Transportation in Jasper National Park
- Nightlife in Jasper National Park
- Restaurants in Jasper National Park
- Shopping in Jasper National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Jasper National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jasper National Park
- 4 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Jasper National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jasper National Park
- Posted in Travel San Diego Forum "Re: Inland San Diego - any..."
- Commented on one of windsorgirl's Jasper National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Don't feed the animals about Watch Out for Wild Animals! in Jasper National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't feed the animals"
- updated a Jasper National Park Travelogue "Get in the water and have a blast!!!"
Top 10 Pages
- San Diego Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Calgary Intro, 35 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto Vallarta Intro, 22 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 45 reviews, 22 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oceanside Intro, 23 reviews, 37 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vancouver Intro, 21 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mexico Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues