"Retiro park on a sunday morning" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Travelogue by SirRichard
Madrid Travel Guide: 5,444 reviews and 11,167 photos
A nice activity to spend a sunny sunday morning in Madrid is to go to the Retiro Park.
Arounf the main lake (the one of the boats and the big statue) there are many activities on weekends.
You can enter through the "Puerta de Alcala" gate (Alcala street) or through any of the Alfonso XII street gates (like the one in the pic).
On the big lake the main activity (apart from feeding the fishes) are the rowing boats.
You can hire one in the corner at the left of the main statue. 3,80 euros for a boat (max. 4 persons) for 45 minutes.
Many young & independent singers come to the Retiro to play their songs or versions of famous singers. You can leave some coins at the guitar's bag...
Around the lake there are many nice terraces where to seat and have a drink on a peaceful scenario, while U see the people pass by.
If you go with kids, they will love the many puppets shows that take place at the main walkside. The shows last about 10 minutes, and there are many, as soon as 1 ends, the next begins. Free entrance, just leave some coins when finished.
At the corner nearest to the Alcala Gate you will find these tables with fortune tellers, tarot players, they also do astral charts...
There are also gipsy women who will try to sell you "romero" sticks, as they are supossed to be lucky amulets. They ask for whatever you want to pay.
If you say no to the herbs, they will try to tell you the future, reading it on your hand's lines..
There are many little stalls selling candies, sunflower seeds (pipas), almonds, pistaccios, chewing gum... About 1,50 euros per bag.
- See All WI-FI in the buses
- See All Lope de Vega Museum
- See All Madrid by Segway
- See All Hostels & Vegans restaurants
- See All "Doña Manolita" for Xmas Lottery
- See All Cafe Reporter
- See All Cerveceria Cervantes
- See All Parades and demonstrations
- See All TIO PEPE ad at Puerta del Sol
- See All La Sierra (mountains)
- See All Xanadu Shopping Mall
- See All Fortune tellers in the Retiro Park
- See All Hire a cell phone
Been to Madrid?Share your travels with the world!
SirRichard's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "¡Bienvenido a Madrid!/Welcome to Madrid!"
- "Madrid is where I live"
- "Madrid: My home for 3 fantastic weeks!"
- "Home is where you're always from"
- "WONDERFUL MADRID"
- "As we say in Andalucia, Madri"
- "Hablemos de Madrid (Let's talk about Madrid)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Nightlife in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 170 Reviews
- 204 Photos
- 152 Forum posts
- 328 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 170 reviews, 201 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 118 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Spain Intro, 84 reviews, 144 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 82 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- India Intro, 55 reviews, 103 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 74 reviews, 77 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 89 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 72 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 66 reviews, 73 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valencia Intro, 52 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues