"Aussie Slang Conversation practice" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Travelogue by Kate-Me
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide: 67,525 reviews and 171,141 photos
Everyday Situation Example:
The sales assistant behind the counter says "hello, how are you today?"
You are supposed to reply that you are doing well/going good (even if you aren't).
you can give the stock standard aussie non committal answer heard absolutely everywhere
--- "not bad"
That's how it goes.
This is standard just about everywhere, city or countryside. Some 'how are you' enquiries are genuine and others standard routine lines, force of habit.
Then, next you may move on to discussing the weather (that's almost mandatory custom too!)
Finally after all this, you may ask for what it is you want in the shop or want to know.
BUT you need to do this protocol thing first.
It's a fact of Australian life and if you work here with a lot of people you may have to go through this ritual many times a day.
- See All More funny/unusual signs
- See All Friendly people
- See All Red Back spider
- See All Sunset at Ayers Rock
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "14 days travelling through Australia by car"
- "NO DOUBT, AUSTRALIA IS A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "Aboriginal Australia"
- "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- "Cruising on a Queues Ship"
- "olja1234's new Australia-Oceania Page"
- "Welcome to Australia and Oceania!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia and Oceania
- Hotels in Australia and Oceania
- Transportation in Australia and Oceania
- Nightlife in Australia and Oceania
- Restaurants in Australia and Oceania
- Shopping in Australia and Oceania
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia and Oceania
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Australia and Oceania
- 1,494 Reviews
- 3,501 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 136 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Australia and Oceania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia and Oceania
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Wrote a Review More funny/unusual signs in Australia and Oceania Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "More funny/unusual signs"
- updated a Australia and Oceania Travelogue "AUSTRALIAN SLANG WORDS & PHRASES"
- Commented on one of RamSter's Australia and Oceania travel pages
Videos in Australia and OceaniaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Top Australia and Oceania hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5764 Reviews - 13433 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2288 Reviews - 4816 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Nadi Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 296 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Bora-Bora Hotels
- 291 Reviews - 587 Photos
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos