"Aussie Slang Conversation practice" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia and Oceania Travelogue by Kate-Me
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide: 70,082 reviews and 182,142 photos
Everyday Situation Example:
The sales assistant behind the counter says "hello, how are you today?"
You are supposed to reply that you are doing well/going good (even if you aren't).
you can give the stock standard aussie non committal answer heard absolutely everywhere
--- "not bad"
That's how it goes.
This is standard just about everywhere, city or countryside. Some 'how are you' enquiries are genuine and others standard routine lines, force of habit.
Then, next you may move on to discussing the weather (that's almost mandatory custom too!)
Finally after all this, you may ask for what it is you want in the shop or want to know.
BUT you need to do this protocol thing first.
It's a fact of Australian life and if you work here with a lot of people you may have to go through this ritual many times a day.
- See All More funny/unusual signs
- See All Friendly people
- See All Red Back spider
- See All Sunset at Ayers Rock
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NO DOUBT, AUSTRALIA IS A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "Aboriginal Australia"
- "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- "Cruising on a Queues Ship"
- "olja1234's new Australia-Oceania Page"
- "Welcome to Australia and Oceania!"
- "Australia and the Islands of the Pacific"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia and Oceania
- Hotels in Australia and Oceania
- Transportation in Australia and Oceania
- Nightlife in Australia and Oceania
- Restaurants in Australia and Oceania
- Shopping in Australia and Oceania
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia and Oceania
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia and Oceania
- 1,522 Reviews
- 3,634 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 139 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Australia and Oceania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia and Oceania
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Phone Service"
- Wrote a Review More funny/unusual signs in Australia and Oceania Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "More funny/unusual signs"
- updated a Australia and Oceania Travelogue "AUSTRALIAN SLANG WORDS & PHRASES"
- Commented on one of RamSter's Australia and Oceania travel pages
Videos in Australia and OceaniaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 134 photos, 6 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 104 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues