"Île d'Orleans & the Beaupre coast (September)" Province of Quebec Travelogue by bkathryn
Province of Quebec Travel Guide: 6,841 reviews and 15,463 photos
My folks came to visit us in Ottawa in mid-September 2001. They then headed off to visit family in Maine and the Maritimes. We later met them on the Ile d'Orleans (Isle of Orleans) for a long weekend. We had gorgeous fall weather and enjoyed it thoroughly. Ile d'Orleans and the Beaupre coast of the Saint Lawrence is a beautiful part of the country for touring, if you're looking for somewhere to holiday in the future.
My husband and I headed off from Ottawa to Quebec City to find our way to the Ile d'Orleans. Once on the island, we made our way to St-Laurent and found the place in which we'd made reservations. (Auberge l'Ile Flottante)
Our first day, we circumnavigated the island. We climbed a lookout near St-Francois - great views! We visited a place in Ste-Famille with lots of information on histories of families that had lived on Ile d'Orleans in the early years. In the process of driving around the island, we also found small wineries and places that make cider and black currant liqueur. We were there during apple picking time so there were many places to buy fresh fruit. We ate a couple of times in places in Ste-Petronille, on the end of the island facing Quebec City.
On our second day, we headed over to the mainland to check out the Beaupre coast. Although we had good views of Montmorency falls from the island, we saw it a little closer at this point. We looked around Chateau-Richer, where our ancestors had lived as well. Near Chateau-Richer we had the opportunity to buy some maple syrup and also some lovely fresh bread. I'm not sure if the bread was baked in an outdoor oven, but we certainly saw the style of oven used. On the way to Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre, we also tracked down La Petite Ferme and Cap Tourmente National Wildlife Area, both near St-Joachim. The wildlife area is where visitors can observe thousands of snow geese during their migration flights in spring and fall. Then we went off to the side and checked out Parc du Mont-Ste-Anne. Mont-Ste-Anne is a well-known ski area and year-round resort. Due to the lovely weather, it was quite busy the day we were there. People were walking, biking, and hang-gliding around the mountain. After a full day, we headed back to our B&B on the island.
The next day, we returned to Ottawa. Ile d'Orleans and the Beaupre coast - a beautiful place to visit.
- See All Visit Mt. Royal Park & see the Olympic...
- See All Feed deer at Duhamel!
- See All Stay out of the way of the tree...
- See All Historic hotel in Quebec City
bkathryn's Related Pages
Province of Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Province of Quebec - Historic and Amazing!"
- "Quebec: A Unique North American Place"
- "Biking my way through Quebec one road at a time!"
- "Quebec- La belle province"
- "Quebec, Canada"
- "Pierre_Rouss Province of Québec page"
- "Quebec.....Europe without the jetlag!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Quebec
- Hotels in Province of Quebec
- Transportation in Province of Quebec
- Nightlife in Province of Quebec
- Restaurants in Province of Quebec
- Shopping in Province of Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Quebec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Quebec
- 15 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Province of Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Quebec
Photos in Province of QuebecSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Province of Ontario Intro, 26 reviews, 69 photos, 6 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 34 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 45 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Scotland Intro, 25 reviews, 63 photos, 4 travelogues
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 17 reviews, 67 photos, 8 travelogues
- England Intro, 24 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Province of Alberta Intro, 15 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Argentina Intro, 22 reviews, 45 photos, 4 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 20 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Iceland Intro, 26 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue