"La Butte aux Cailles" Paris Travelogue by GUYON
Paris Travel Guide: 22,582 reviews and 55,343 photos
This area is not touristy. Even, it is rather unknown by the Parisians themselves. By the streets, you see only the inhabitants and some "happy few" persons who come here to taste the special charm of this district.
La Butte aux Cailles (The Quails hill) is a village within Paris (13° arrondissement). It is preserved because the underground is scattered by ancient quarries and it is impossible to build large constructions.
The more pleasant streets are the Rues de la Butte aux Cailles and des Cinq-Diamants (according to an ancient tavern). Several houses are supported more by the others than the ground on which they are built (see the house at the corner of the both previouly named streets)
Metro : Corvisart or Place d'Italie
On the photograph : rue des Cinq-Diamants
I am not sure if it is the rue Buot. If not, this street is not far.
It does not matter. The photo shows a typical street of the district. It looks like Montmartre without the tourists and the linked traps.
A Belgian, named Louis Antoine, was inspired by God and created, in 1913, a new cult which is a mix of christianity and spiritism.
This church is the only example I know dedicated to the Antoinism.
At the corner of Rue Vergniaux.
Curious sharped roofs of the houses (built in 1912) of the streets near the Place.
No. Paris is not a universe of concrete. There are also some cities like this one.
Hidden near the Boulevard Périphérique (at the level of the "Poterne des Peupliers"), the Cité Florale is a complicated network of marvellous narrow streets and places.
Each house is decorated by flowers and all the streets have a name of flower.
It was built in 1928 to replace swamps used in Winter by Parisians as skating rinks. They supplied also ice which was stored underground to be used in Summer to refresch foods and beverages. The near rue and metro station "Glacière" are still present to remember that.
To go there look for the Place de Rungis (metro : Maison Blanche or Cité Universitaire).
The entry of the Cité is rue Savarin.
I recommend to visit also the neighbor Parc Montsouris (see the travelogue dedicated to the Paris Gardens).
- See All How to become a parisian in one hour
- See All Musee Carnavalet (Paris Historical...
- See All Cafe de l'Homme
- See All Creperie Bretonne à Paris
- See All Again, a budget hotel
- See All Rent a bicycle (city of Paris)
- See All Avenue Frochot
- See All Taste and buy WINE
- See All Paris - Versailles
- Packing List
- See All The touristy areas
- See All Genealogy
- See All A wise tourist at the restaurant
Been to Paris?Share your travels with the world!
GUYON's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 184 Reviews
- 698 Photos
- 1,011 Forum posts
- 479 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
- Posted in Travel France Forum "Re: Hotels in Bordeaux and Biarritz"
- Commented on one of GUYON's Paris travel pages
- Wrote a Review How to become a parisian in one hour about Theatre des Nouveautés in Paris Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to become a parisian in one hour"
- updated a Paris Travel Page "The charm of Paris stays in its History"
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (698)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 184 reviews, 702 photos, 34 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 65 reviews, 105 photos, 8 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 45 reviews, 122 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lignano Sabbiadoro Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos
- Savannah Intro, 29 reviews, 102 photos
- Miami Beach Intro, 40 reviews, 64 photos
- Norway Intro, 32 reviews, 66 photos, 7 travelogues
- Montpellier Intro, 30 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- North America Intro, 11 reviews, 69 photos, 11 travelogues