"Harlingen-Makkum Sailtrip" Netherlands Travelogue by pieter_jan_v
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,459 reviews and 86,636 photos
We made the trip onboard the 100 year old vessel "Iselmar".
More ships were heading out, like the ferry "Friesland" (going to Terschelling).
Looking back at the Harling harbor while sailing on the Waddenzee.
Some other ships on the way to Kornwerderzand.
Kornwerderzand is one of 2 spots were you can go from the Waddenzee to the Ijsselmeer through "De Afsluitdijk". This dike of 30 km was made to protect the inner coast of The Netherlands.
Here we pass the rotating bridge; holding up all traffic on the dike.
Almost through; ready to go to the locks.
Kornwerderzand was a stronghold in World War 2. There is a museum made in the old "bunkers".
Going to the locks.
The old lock control post.
And the new one.
Waiting for the water to level out.
The main mast is 26 meters high, so there is some hoisting to do.
Lucky there is some gear to make the job easier.
Turning and turning and turning ....
.... and turning ....
.... until ....
.... you reach the top ....
.... and catch some wind.
A slow boat to ...............
The father of schipper Jan now is in sailing control.
Downstairs there are cabins with all facilities and a well equipped bar.
Sea air makes hungry.
So everybody came down.
And this attracted some uninvited visitors.
More ships headed that way.
In the meantime we came closer to Makkum.
The first sign of what was to come.
The side of the ship.
The sails went down again.
And the ropes were prepared.
Makkum and tiles.
The entrance to Makkum.
Lots of sailing boats.
Our temporary anchorplace.
Fishing boats ....
This is "Jan", the schipper of the Iselmar.
.... drying their nets.
A first impression.
One of the bridges.
"De Waagtoren" from 1698.
Stone plates in the tower.
The sign that explains it all (in Dutch!).
Makkum is famous for the ceramic tiles. Even the office sign of the tiles factory is made of these tiles.
They got this mermaid too.
View on the village with the tugboat "Wilskracht" in front.
Local street (of course with a bicycle).
Makkum is ideal for window shopping.
And a tile shop.
A last picture in between the houses.
We went back to Harlingen via the locks of Kornwerderzand again. The first thing we saw in "De Waddenzee" were some sunbathing seals.
Poles indicating the local fishing grounds and nets.
More poles ....
.... and even more poles.
Follow your leader.
A "road" sign.
A sign of ....
Afterwards we had to sing seaman songs with "Windkracht 10".
The "Iselmar" is a two mast clipper, build in 1902.
Length 38 meters, width 6.1 meters, sail surface 400 ms.
It can house 34 guest.
Hot and cold water available.
3 showers, 220 V 50 Hz onboard.
- See All Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet
- See All The other RED CROSS
- See All Travelling by Airplane to the...
- See All The good cause
- See All Special hotel addresses
- See All Gardens in the Netherlands
- See All Dutch Biologic Restaurants
- Nice small Dutch shops on the net
- Heading for the Low Lands
- See All Bicycle websites links
- DUTCH RECORD SHOPS (outside Amsterdam)
Been to Netherlands?Share your travels with the world!
pieter_jan_v's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 2,409 Reviews
- 6,386 Photos
- 6,091 Forum posts
- 165 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: In between - The third serving"
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "BICYCLES RULES!"
- Wrote a Review Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet in Netherlands Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sinterklaas & Zwarte Piet"
- Commented on one of sabsi's Netherlands tips
- Commented on the Netherlands Local Customs travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 458 reviews, 1392 photos, 28 travelogues
- London Intro, 147 reviews, 740 photos, 10 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 140 reviews, 604 photos, 22 travelogues
- Cascais Intro, 72 reviews, 642 photos, 10 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 92 reviews, 512 photos, 31 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Halifax Intro, 183 reviews, 416 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hengelo Intro, 151 reviews, 395 photos, 9 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 70 reviews, 472 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 78 reviews, 445 photos, 10 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 83 reviews, 335 photos, 18 travelogues
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1419 Reviews - 3799 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1264 Reviews - 3249 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos