"North West N.S.W." Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Travelogue by iandsmith
Australia Travel Guide: 46,049 reviews and 118,300 photos
With a name like that, you could only be in Australia. This shot is of an Australian icon called The Breadknife. It certainly is an odd shaped piece of sandstone and is only 1-2 metres wide. Climbing on it is, understandably, forbidden. The walk up to it will take you about 3 and a half hours for the return journey. You will be stuffed afterwards! At times the track is steep but most of it is a well made brick pathway. The Warrumbungles (loves those aboriginal names) are near a town called Coonabarabran.
On the way down on the opposite side near the Breadknife.
Here is a place where international tourists can be counted on one hand. Well, maybe two or three. It's about 30kms north east of Narrabri. From the top of this old volcanic plug you can see more of N.S.W. than from any other point. From memory it's about one sixth.
Bit of an ego trip here. This shot actually graced the cover of a magazine and was taken on the old Glen Innes - Grafton road. You would be lucky to find this exact spot but, on the way down the escarpment, keep your eyes peeled for little tracks off the side where the creek is and you may find your own treasure as I did.
This shot is also a bit of an ego trip and won a minor prize in some photography thing I entered. It is of the Oxley WIld RIvers National Park, probably the most overlooked (like that pun and ambiguity) area in N.S.W. Hardly any international tourists go there which is a shame because it really does characterize the words "wilderness" and "bush". It covers a huge area but is only accessible in certain places, this shot is taken at an obscure location called Enmore which you can get very near to before you have to walk about a kilometre to here. It's not a documented lookout but it shows how the Macleay River has worked its way through the hard rock over millenia. Some good places that are readily acessible are Wollomombi (highly recommended) and Dangar Falls (also highly recommended) which are easily arrived at from Armidale.
Out in the country you can see the storms from miles away as they roll in across the sunburnt plains. Late spring and summer are the best times to see such phenomina. If you get lucky at somewhere like Mt. Kaputar you may get to watch a lightning show up close and personal. This was taken in the Upper Hunter Valley near Muswellbrook.
This is a seldom visited part of Australia. Located on the Port Macquarie - Walcha road it is well worth a visit at the end of winter when all the wattle is in bloom. It's a lovely place for walking and a picnic lunch yet overlooked by the majority for the better known Apsley Falls not far up the road. Although Apsley is more dramatic with its sheer cliff faces, I think this is prettier.
One thing you'll get if you travel up in this region long enough are sunsets. Some of them are quite spectacular. I like to think that this one, taken near Glen Innes, is one such sunset.
- See All Some cracker shots
- See All Sydney Fish Market
- See All The Gorge or Clarence Gorge
- See All Dying for a pie
- See All Sharks - reality and myth
- See All Raiders of the Lost Arch - made it!
iandsmith's Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 3,129 Reviews
- 8,069 Photos
- 378 Forum posts
- 217 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos