"Enniskerry - Roundwood (15 km)" Wicklow Mountains Travelogue by luciano

Wicklow Mountains Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 16 photos

Powerscout Falls

At 8 o'clock in the morning I left Knockree Hostel, conveniently situated near the trail on the slope of a hill 4 km west of Enniskerry. The weather was "irish": windy, very cloudy and drizzling. I went trekking without having anything for breakfast because I had forgotten to buy something at the town the day before, and it was too far away now. Never, I repeat, never, do what I did!
The trail descended to a stream and went up again on the other side, getting into a forest. After one hour and a half of weary climbing , the path suddenly turned to the right, the forest ended, and a magnificent panorama opened before my eyes. I was high, looking over a valley with the Powerscourt Falls (highest in Ireland) to the right. Awesome!!!

The Wicklow mountains

The path took me into a forest again until I crossed the river that later becomes mighty waterfall. From there, a steep ascent out of the woods to the top of the mountains, some 500 meters high . Nothing can protect me now from the rough weather!

A reward

The wind was very strong here, and the drizzle (or was it the clouds?) pierced me like sand. It was very difficult to get going because the wind was blowing exactly against me, but I had my reward when a beautiful rainbow formed with the hills as a background, enclosing a few sheeps (which, by the way, where my only company around). To take that picture was an ordeal, though, and I had to change the film in the middle of that terrible weather: no wonder why I didn't notice that the film I just had finished fell down from my bag. Thus, I lost all the pictures taken in Powerscourt State, and of the waterfall too. Grrrrr.

The long and winding road

And like this, the trail went on, and on, and on... and I wanted to descend just to stop fighting against the wind. The view was fabulous, though, the clouds were clearing and to the left even the sea was visible. The trail ahead looked like a long snake, all covered with sleepers (in this bogland, after heavy rain everything would turn into a marsh, impossible to cross).

Valley and lakes

After crossing the highest part of the mountains I reached a valley, where the most gorgeous views of the lakes Dan and Tay can be enjoyed.

Lough Tay

At this point it was more than three hours since I had left the hostel, and I was starting to feel the effects of hunger and dehydration. It was kind of funny to be so thirsty while at the same time being able to look at those freshwater lakes down there, so big, so out of reach.

J. B. Malone memorial

This is a memorial to a pioneer of the Wicklow Way. "Will anyone build one for me, if I can't make it to Roundwood?", I thought.

Roundwood

I reached Roundwood at last, around 3 PM: thirsty, hungry, weary, but feeling like Roald Amundsen after setting foot on the South Pole. There was no hostel here, so I had to take a Bed & Breakfast. Of 38 nights I spent in Ireland, that was the only one I didn't sleep in a hostel!

Next morning, I went back to the Wicklow Way and continued to Glendalough. This takes us to next travelogue, which will be ready soon (I hope)

• Page Updated Mar 14, 2003

Comments

luciano

“No soy de aqui, ni soy de alla...”

Badges & Stats in Wicklow Mountains

Have you been to Wicklow Mountains?

Friends