"ANCIENT CITIES" Top 5 Page for this destination Gaziantep Travelogue by evliyasems
Gaziantep Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 176 photos
Belkýs / Zeugma ancient city was founded by the general of Alexander the Great Seleukos Nikator in 3rd century B.C at the banks of the Kýzýlýrmak River, 10 km east of Nizip district of Gazi Antep, over an approximate area of 20 thousand acres.
The first name of the ancient city was Seleukeia Euphrates. The ancient city had entered under the reign of Roman Empire in 64 B.C and it was renamed as "Zeugma", which means "passage way" or "bridge". The ancient city of Belkýs / Zeugma was an important Legion city in the Roman and Byzantine Periods and was one of the most important four cities of Commagene civilization.
At the skirts of the ancient city facing the Fýrat River the mansions of the wealthy citizens was constructed and the floors of these houses were covered with numerous mosaics with high art value. Numerous rock tombs are located in the Necropolis and lots of tomb steles, statues and human skeletons were discovered.
This ancient city was located 10 km south of Gazi Antep city center. The ancient city was located on the historical Silk Road. At the Þarklý Cave located in the borders of this ancient city, tools made of stone were discovered proving the settlement of the mankind in the region at 6000 B.C. The ancient city is known as Doliche in the history and was the religious center of Teþup, the master deity of Hittite civilization. Numerous rock tombs and churches carved into rocks are available for visit at Dülük village.
Some parts of the Karkamýþ ruins are inside the borders of Syria. The ruins of Karkamýþ are located to the south of Karkamýþ district and its historical background extends to the Neolithic periods. The Legend of Gýlgamesh was described on the Karkamýþ ruins in the Late Hittite period. The findings discovered from this ruins are exhibited in the Ankara Anatolian Civilizations Museum.
More Travelogues (3)
Written Dec 24, 2001
STOP HERE! SAVE CHILDREN
Written Jun 7, 2002
Written Sep 5, 2002
- Libraries Week 19-25 March...
- See All Gaziantep is situated where...
- See All When we observe Gaziantep...
evliyasems' Related Pages
Gaziantep Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gaziantep city"
- "City of Gastronomy"
- "GOLDEN HISTORY : ZEUGMA"
- "Mehmet's new Gaziantep page"
- "Antep عنتاب"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gaziantep
- Hotels in Gaziantep
- Transportation in Gaziantep
- Restaurants in Gaziantep
- Shopping in Gaziantep
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gaziantep
- 14 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 64 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gaziantep?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gaziantep
Photos in GaziantepSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaziantep Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Istanbul Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Adiyaman Ili Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Adiyaman Intro, 6 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cote D'Ivoire Intro, 12 reviews, 6 photos
- Egypt Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Ghana Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- Accra Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos