"The Sisserou Parrot: Dominica's national bird" Dominica Travelogue by BROOKS
Dominica Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 867 photos
This is a Sisserou (amozona imperialis) Parrot.
It is the national symbol for Dominica and adorns the country's coat of arms and flag.
It may be the oldest species of amazona parrots in the world and is indigenous only to Dominica.
After thousands of years on this island, the Sisserou finds itself on the brink of extinction, due to the ever-increasing human population, deforestation and poaching of this beautiful bird.
In 1976 the Commonwealth of Dominica passed the Forestry and Wildlife Act to give maximum protection to the Sisserou, making it illegal to hunt or own one.
Conservation efforts, including a breed and release program, are underway.
While visiting Dominica you may see the birds in the Botanical Gardens in the capital city of Roseau.
- Dance, Dance, Dance
- See All For an inviting stay visit...
- See All Eastern Caribbean Dollars
- Delicious fruits, oh how sweet
- See All Wireless and internet connection
- See All Packing List
- See All Dominica Botanical...
- Be careful when crossing the...
- See All Depending on where you are...
- See All One adventure I'd suggest is...
BROOKS's Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "A Lush Tropical Isle"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- "The Nature Island of the Caribbean"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 27 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: postcard VT meeting Karlsruhe"
- updated a Dominica Travel Page "The Nature Island of the Caribbean"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Nature Island of the Caribbean"
- Wrote a Review Dance, Dance, Dance in Dominica Nightlife
- Commented on one of SunnyIsle's Dominica travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Dominica Intro, 27 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Intro, 27 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sint Maarten Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos, 5 travelogues
- Aurora Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 3 travelogues
- Chicago Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aruba Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barbados Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Guadeloupe Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Anguilla Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Kitts and Nevis Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos