"Ancient Estonian haabjas" Parnu Travelogue by kylamees
Parnu Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 201 photos
Haabjas is ancient estonian boat made of one tree. It used in boggya areas of Soomaa as the best transportation to go fishing, shopping, hunting or to carry sheep. In September 15-16, 2001 many makers of this ancient boat were in Karuskose farm. I took some pics about how they carried a sheep by haabjas, run with water over the bridge and back by boat, standing on head on boat as long as possible etc. Look.
Boggy Soomaa is under the water every spring. The highest water level in Karuskose is marked by blue line on the house. Then went to rooms by boat and slept second floor because fish was in ground floor swimming around in living rooms...
This is so-called V-style. Record is over 5 minutes.
This sheep will go to boat and boatmen will start to fight for the best time in boating, carrying a sheep an girl on boat to watermark and back.
So, sheep was not so calm and standing up, boat filled with water and wet sheep must be saved from water ...
You must stand up to drive a haabjas, ancient estonian boat. It's like some kind of Venice gondle.
They must carry over a half of water in the pail back to starting point.
And this is the view from highest bog raising watchtower to wooden path ending soon on the bog...
More Travelogues (1)
- By bus from Tallinn or...
- See All Mirage Club
- See All Old Pärnu. It's on the road to...
kylamees' Related Pages
Parnu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bonio's trip to Parnu"
- "Parnu, Estonia"
- "Parnu - A nice option for the summer"
- "Summer capital of Estonia - Pärnu"
- "Parnu Page"
- "Don't come here in April!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parnu
- Hotels in Parnu
- Transportation in Parnu
- Nightlife in Parnu
- Restaurants in Parnu
- Shopping in Parnu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Parnu
- 13 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Parnu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parnu
Top 10 Pages
- Estonia Intro, 24 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 17 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 22 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Parnu Intro, 13 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paldiski Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naissaar Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tartu Intro, 16 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Riga Region Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Florence Intro, 13 reviews, 4 photos