"Dolly Wilde!" Top 5 Page for this destination La Seine and Its Bridges Tip by BeatChick
La Seine and Its Bridges, Paris: 28 reviews and 40 photos
Dolly Wilde's place
1 rue Gît-le-C?ur
(close to the Left Bank of the Seine)
A close friend of Natalie Barney's and the flamboyant & unusual niece of Oscar Wilde (gee, wonder where those characteristics came from!), Dolly had quite the reputation in the '30s while living in Paris. She also looked remarkably like her uncle.
Website below provides link to a biography about her called Truly Wilde: The Unsettling Story of Dolly Wilde.
This was also the residence of Gilbert Seldes, a close friend of e. e. cummings, the poet, and he was the managing editor of The Dial. Seldes called this building Chez Murphy because of its proximity to Gerald & Sara Murphy's apartment (just around the corner).
I read about both of these expatriates in Expatriate Paris: A Cultural & Literary Guide to Paris of the 1920's by Arlen Hansen, a fabulous compendium of Paris stories.
More Off The Beaten Path in Paris (85)
More Reviews (291)
- See All Musée de l'Orangerie - Nymphéas (Water...
- See All People Watching while Dining at the...
- See All Interactive Maps for Paris
- See All Hotels in Montmartre near Metro Stations
- See All Chromatic Bis
- See All Leaving Lost Belongings in an Obvious...
- See All Saving Money with Movie Passes
- See All Anthony Bourdain's Absinthe Bar!
- See All Gold Ring Scam
- See All Joggers in Paris
- See All Leather Boots of all Persuasions
- See All Kissing Oscar's Grave
BeatChick's Related Pages
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels