street stalls of Luang Prabang: "eating street food is essential" Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Restaurant Tip by richiecdisc
Laos Restaurants: 116 reviews and 100 photos
If you venture halfway around the world and eat at McDonald’s you are missing the point of travel entirely. One good thing about Laos is there are no McD’s. But you can get caught up in eating what has become affectionately known as “backpacker staples.” There in nothing wrong with a banana pancake or veggie burger but you should at least make some effort to sample the local cuisine. And there is no better place to do this than in the local markets. The best thing about these places is you can see what you are getting before you eat it. Also, they are very cheap so if you cannot eat it, you do not waste much money. The one pictured is in Luang Prabang.
Favorite Dish: There were lots of great dishes in the local markets. Just look and point at what you want. The fish on a stick was particularly good as were the coconut pancakes. Yum.
Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Right off the main street in Luang Prabang but look around in all cities as they abound everywhere.
Price: less than US$10
More Restaurants in Laos (2)
More Reviews (27)
- See All The local plonk
- hiking in Vang Vieng
- Vang Vieng has more local color than you...
- wish we could have brought him home
- not nearly the thieves of Thailand
- scenic but slow boats
- See All beware of rickety bridges
- little visited villages offer some local...
- what only nature can bestow
- See All a feast of temples awaits you in Laos
- See All say hello to our little friend
- See All that one is supposed to be a real...
richiecdisc's Related Pages
Have you been to Laos?Share Your Travels