"IT'S THE DICKEN'S INN PUB!!!" The Dark Horse Tip by DrexelDragon

The Dark Horse, Philadelphia: 4 reviews and 5 photos

For me, this place will always be known as the Dicken's Inn Pub. I remember having first gone there with my friend Tavis and his father, who is full on South London. We went there to watch some Premiership games on a brisk Saturday morning. It rocked. Place was jammed with ex-pats from all over who were well into their 3rd pint by the time we got there. They were serving food. Beer was flowing. People were intent on the games. All the bars were open. It was good. It still is good to this day except for the name.

The main bar area is upstairs. The downstairs bar has been full before, but not many people really go there to hang out downstairs. There are three main rooms upstairs. The best are the front and back rooms. The middle room isn't open as often as the others, but opens mostly on game days. The rooms are wooden with exposed beams, and the bars are outfitted nicely with brass. The lighting is usually low and makes for a warm, laid back atmosphere except on game days. There is a juke box and darts in the back room that draws most of the people back there besides it being the largest of the rooms.

As far as the crowd goes, it can be hit or miss. You might go there on a Friday nite and there's not much happening. You might go there on a Saturday nite and have it lively. The one thing is that it doesn't seem to pick up until later in the evening.

I have only ever had breakfast there, and it was good. I have had people tell me that dinner was so-so and very good, so I can't give a good opinion on the food.

Definitely check it out.

Dress Code: It's somewhere in between casual and smartly dressed as you'll find a range of it there.

Address: 2nd and Lombard
Directions: One block north at the end of the main part of South St.
Theme: Eating and Drinking

• Written Nov 23, 2004

“You don't realize how green the grass is until you've been to the other side...”

Have you been to Philadelphia?