"Virginia State Capitol" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Square Tip by matcrazy1
Capitol Square, Richmond: 39 reviews and 65 photos
I could only see it from the outside... more in my tourist trap tip. Anyway, later on during my trip I saw and visited a few state capitol buildings and I must admit that Virginia state capitol was unique. It consisted of three similar, white, classical buildings put in symetrical way with the main, oldest and largest structure placed in the middle. They look like classical ancient temples.
The main building was completed in 1788. Thomas Jefferson selected the Maison Carree (Square House) at Nimes in southern France as a model for the capitol building. This Roman temple was built... at the end of the first century BC and survived till now.
The wings were added to the capitol in 1904: western for a new Senate chamber and eastern as new quarters for the House of Delegates.
Address: Capitol Square, Richmond, VA 23219
Directions: Directions and maps here.
othercontact: +1 (877) 391-FACT
Phone: +1 (888) 892-6948
More Reviews (73)
- See All Looking for budget accommodation?
- See All Where to park a car?
- See All Drink Virginia wine
- See All Wilkum sign
- See All Immigration and the South
- See All Do not forget underwear and socks :-)
- See All But how to eat it?
- See All Association For Free Photography (AFFP)
- See All Poor light and blurred pictures
- See All Nighttime hunger :-)
- See All Over 30 kinds of doughnuts to choose!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels