"Dedicated to famous Virginians" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Square Tip by matcrazy1
Capitol Square, Richmond: 39 reviews and 65 photos
I was curious whose figures were standing in lower part of the Washington monument but I didn't find any info right there. I do hope they add information for visitors after the upcoming renovations.
This famous monument was changing during and after the Civil War: more and more figures of the most famous Virginians were added. Statues on the monument are:
1. Patrick Henry - representing revolution;
2. Thomas Jefferson - independence;
3. George Mason - Bill of Rights;
4. John Marshall - Justice;
5. Thomas Nelson - Finance;
6. Andrew Lewis - Colonial Times.
My two random thoughts.
1. I am surprised how many famous people were born and acted in and for Virginia in the past. And their list is longer... George Washington, the first president of the United States was Virginian as well. Was Virginia magical earth?
2. In my part of the world monuments important to natives were usually destroyed by order of occupant powers. Soviets destroyed many monuments of Polish patriots (as their enemies) after WWII. Well, maybe not the best analogy. But, anyway, I am a little bit surprised that this monument survived Northern victory in 1865.
Address: Capitol Square, Richmond, VA 23219
Directions: Directions and maps here.
More Reviews (73)
- See All Looking for budget accommodation?
- See All Where to park a car?
- See All Drink Virginia wine
- See All Wilkum sign
- See All Immigration and the South
- See All Do not forget underwear and socks :-)
- See All But how to eat it?
- See All Association For Free Photography (AFFP)
- See All Poor light and blurred pictures
- See All Nighttime hunger :-)
- See All Over 30 kinds of doughnuts to choose!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels