"Gifted in mind and generous in heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Capitol Square Tip by matcrazy1
Capitol Square, Richmond: 39 reviews and 65 photos
This man, Hunter Holmes McGuire (1835-1900), on my picture, sat on the chair put on the stone pedestal at the Capitol Square. He was famous surgeon, patriot and Richmonder.
There was writing on the pedestal:
To Hunter Holmes McGuire, M.D., LL.D., President of the American Medical and of the American Surgical Associations, founder of the University College of Medicine; Medical Director, Jackson's Corps. Army of Northern Virginia; an eminent civil and military surgeon, and beloved physician; an able teacher and vicorous writer, a useful citizen and broad humanitarian, gifted in mind and generous in heart, this monument is erested by his many friends.
It seems that some surgeons were "over-active" in public life even over hundred years ago.
Address: Capitol Square, Richmond, VA 23219
Directions: Directions and maps here.
More Reviews (73)
- See All Looking for budget accommodation?
- See All Where to park a car?
- See All Drink Virginia wine
- See All Wilkum sign
- See All Immigration and the South
- See All Do not forget underwear and socks :-)
- See All But how to eat it?
- See All Association For Free Photography (AFFP)
- See All Poor light and blurred pictures
- See All Nighttime hunger :-)
- See All Over 30 kinds of doughnuts to choose!
matcrazy1's Related Pages
Have you been to Richmond?Share Your Travels