"Common Downtown Richmond animals" Top 5 Page for this destination Flora and Fauna Tip by matcrazy1

Flora and Fauna, Richmond: 2 reviews and 2 photos

by matcrazy1

Nat was very surprised when I started to take pictures of squirrels running fast on the Capitol Square in the downtown of Richmond. Well, I had to explain him that squirrels were not common animals in cities of my country especially downtown. And our, European squirrels, are more red than grey in colour.

For me their presence is evidence of clean and safe environment for animals (although some give their all as they try to cross Broad Street), not so easy to find in many cities of Poland. That's why I was always surprised to see many squirrels (more than human beings :-) in parks located in dowtowns of many cities in the South.

Nat (b1bob) told me the following story:
Way back before modern copy machines, most offices used mimeograph sheets which are purple. They were only good for one use and they were tossed in the rubbish. Well, you know how squirrels like to forage through the rubbish to get what kind of food they can get or things to furnish their nests. This one squirrel lined his nest with that used purple mimeograph paper and, from sitting in it, it turned his fur purple. The purple squirrel of Capitol Square caused quite a stir among Capitol employees. At first, their bosses thought too many of them had liquid lunches if you know what I mean until they figured it out.

Website: http://www.squirrel.com

• Updated Nov 21, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Richmond?