"Traffic and rush hours" Top 5 Page for this destination Highways and Byways Tip by matcrazy1

Highways and Byways, Richmond: 3 reviews and 3 photos

by matcrazy1

I found driving around Richmond's downtown easy, even very easy. Well, I had the best navigator I could imagine, Nat (b1bob).

Main streets were wide, multi-lane. There were no one-way streets or I didn't find any. I skipped rush hours (7.00 - 9.00 am and 4.00 - 6.00 pm). But, look at the main street (Broad Street), on my picture taken just after 4.00 pm on a business day. It doesn't look so bad, right?

In Richmond, like in most US cities and different to many European cities, freeways pass through downtown. Keep in mind that natives use freeways (I-95, I-195, I-295 and I-64) to commute. So, you should expect heavy traffic close to freeway's exits and on freeways at rush hours. Add possibility of closed lanes because of accidents esp. at bad weather. If possible, avoid driving to Richmond's dowtown in the morning and back during the afternoon's rush hour. Anyway, follow the traffic. Driving other roads than freeways for longer distances takes ages because of numerous traffic lights.

Check current road conditions in Richmond area here or look at the traffic on webcams put along I-95 here.

Type: Car/Motor Home
Website: http://www.virginiadot.org/default_flash.asp

• Updated Nov 21, 2004

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Richmond?