"Wide Streets" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas Local Custom Tip by Bwana_Brown

Kansas Local Customs: 15 reviews and 22 photos

Downtown Mound City
by Bwana_Brown

I was struck by the wide streets in the downtown area of all the towns and villages that I drove through in Kansas. Apparantly, when you have that much space, there is no need to crowd things! That being said, there was also not much traffic, which is not surprising in a state only slightly smaller than New Zealand yet with only 2.7 million inhabitants!

Angle parking seemed to be the standard here, something that disappeared for parallel parking many years ago where I live. Also, the core areas of all the places that I drove through had that 'Old West' look to them with multi-storey brick buildings, even if they looked a bit run down in a few locations.

The houses seemed to vary from large Victorian-type mansions to small bungalows, with large porches supported by solid pillars. These small houses reminded me of ones from eastern Canada and New England that I had seen in my youth. In many ways, eastern Kansas was like stepping back to an older time and a slower pace of life. I liked it.

• Updated Nov 20, 2004

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Have you been to Kansas?