"Overpriced rubbish with attitude" Museum Shops Tip by b1bob

Museum Shops, Washington D.C.: 12 reviews and 35 photos

Planetarium Store
by b1bob

Normally, I like to stay away from museum stores because they inflate their prices something awful. However, I was more in need of a bag because the sharp edges of a picture frame Matt and Urszula gave me were making hamburger out of the small paper bag I had. Things were falling out of my bag including used rolls of film, which, thank goodness, I retrieved. I figured I would buy something small and get a bag. I asked the lady behind the counter for a bigger bag if she didn't mind and she gruffly said even after I explained why I needed a big bag that small bags go with small items. I gave Matt the pen I bought in order to get the bag which barely fit everything in. I don't know what it is about shopkeepers in the Washington, DC area. First it was this and a month later a shopkeeper at Fair Oaks Mall gave Matt a hard time about taking a storefront picture for which he was ready to make a glowing tip about the shop.

What to buy: They offer all kinds of space and aviation related whatnots here, but I'll be dipped if I'll ever shop here again, not from the inferiority of the merchandise, but from the attitude of the shopkeepers.

Directions: Second Floor, Smithsonian Air and Space Museum
Theme: Gifts

• Updated Jun 27, 2006

Comments

b1bob

Have you been to Washington D.C.?