"scale the GREAT WALL OF..." Great Wall Tip by Krystynn

Great Wall, Beijing: 40 reviews and 58 photos

Favorite thing: scale the <b><u>GREAT WALL OF CHINA</u></b>! Most foreigners (like us) see the Wall at <b>Badaling</b>, which is 70km northwest of Beijing, and stands at an elevation of 1000 meters. The Wall also has a cable car service which costs approx. 55 Yuan (for foreigners).

Fondest memory: On the day we were here, it was extremely windy and the temperature had dipped suddenly to -10 degrees Celcius.. . But rain, snow or thunderstorm, I wasn't going to let this deter me and leave Beijing without seeing one of the world's greatest ancient wonder! We were adequately attired and psyched ourselves up for this momentous event... i.e. climbing the slippery, almost 70-degree-angled steps of the Wall. Hey, I figured it is better to look like a stuffed turkey than to be frozen to death, ya know...??.

<b>P.S. Please be careful when you're scaling some parts of the Wall.... because there aren't any steps at all! It can be very treacherous... and definitely not for the faint-hearted or those suffering from Vertigo.</b>

Before I move on to the next landmark monument, would you like to try and guess how wide is the smallest width of the Great Wall?

What's your prize for guessing correctly? Why, a special pat on the shoulder!

The answer is 40cm, which means only <u>one person</u> can stand on top of it at any given time! This section of the Wall is located at the Shi-ma-tai portion of the mighty Great Wall, 120 km away from the city of Beijing.

I dare you to take on the challenge of standing on a 40 cm wide platform on top of a ridge! More pics of us scaling the Great Wall coming up.... (after I manage to scan my pics).

Address: Badaling, Mutianyu, Simatai...

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Beijing?