Balthazar: "Balthazar" Top 5 Page for this destination Balthazar Tip by Carmanah

Balthazar, Vancouver: 3 reviews and 5 photos

Balthazar's exterior in the afternoon
by Carmanah

I had always wanted to go to Balthazar because it called itself a "restaurant hideaway" and it mystified me. What was it? I knew it was a trendy lounge where local scenesters would go on hot dates or to shmooze with their friends over martinis. At the time I figured Balthazar's focus was on drinks, not food. I really had no idea what the place was like, other than I knew it was located in an old house in downtown Vancouver's West End. The place looks like a Spanish villa from the outside. I wanted to know what the fuss was about inside.

Everyone I knew had spent time at Balthazar at one point or another, and everytime I could have gone there, I always ended up somewhere else. So, finally, on a cold November evening, me and my boyfriend walked over to Balthazar for dinner.

What was it like?

Well... Balthazar's located in a house, so I thought the interior would have several rooms. Instead, it seems like the walls have all been removed and you're seated among plush couches and furniture in a large loft. It does at times feel like you're in somebody's New York studio enjoying a party among the city's hipsters. Candlelight flickers on the tables. Locally produced post modern art adorns the walls. DJ decks and speakers are set up in the corner where they spin their set loudly over the hustle and bustle of flirting diners. Plush velvet curtains hang from the ceiling and there's this subtle yet definite atmosphere of neo-goth. Think Montreal. This is Montreal, in Vancouver, without the French.

Favorite Dish: The ice queen martini, despite its name, was delicious. It was served in a glass tumbler with mint vodka and fresh cranberrries on ice.

For dinner I had their sesame-encrusted ahi-tuna, grilled on the outside, rare on the inside, served with rice (w/ a delicious melted cheese), roasted tomatoes and spaghetti squash. It was fantastic!

For dessert I decided to go with their weekly special of chocolate and cranberry bread pudding. The chocolate wasn't too sweet... it was like pure cocoa, and the cranberries added the perfect amount of tartness to the entire dish.

Address: 1215 Bidwell Street, Vancouver
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located on the west side of Bidwell, between Davie and Burnaby Street in downtown Vancouver's West End.
Phone: (604) 689-8822
Rating: 4
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.balthazarvancouver.com

• Updated Nov 30, 2004

Comments

Carmanah Lives Here!

Carmanah

“You only live once!”

Have you been to Vancouver?