Bucca de Beppo: "How does one say "ripped off" in Italian?" Italian Tip by JinKansas

Italian, Kansas City: 15 reviews and 11 photos

It was my birthday so we wanted to go to someplace different. I saw mixed reviews regarding Bucca de Beppo, but a friend said her experience had been really good, so we gave it a try.

We made a reservation for two. When we arrived they seated us in the bar. I wanted a romantic dinner. And talking above the bar noises, including the TV, was not what I had in mind. So we asked for another table. We were told we would have to wait. Strike One.

We were subsequently seated in a room with lots of empty tables....so why the wait. Our server was friendly and he took our order. Little did I know this would be the last time we would see him until he brought the check.

All the fun was delivered by runners. Young, teenaged boys running the plates from the kitchen to the table. Well I hope this is what we ordered and that we don't need anything else. They threw the plates of food on the table and were off. We didn't even have plates to eat off of (everything is served family style) and had to ask for plates from a bus boy.

The food was either poorly prepared or simply had no taste. We ordered the meat platter, it was extremely overprived for what was presented and all the meat was very overcooked and dried out and not hot when it arrived at the table. The salad had been sitting in dressing too long and was wilted. And nothing really had any flavor.

When out waiter appeared with the check and said "wasn't everything delicious?", when I said no, he said "ok" and walked away from the table. No questions about what wasn't right, or what could have been better.

There are too many great Italian restaurants in KC that are the real thing. I won't waste my money in this imitation when the original is just downtown.

Address: the Plaza
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 1
Theme: Italian

• Written Nov 15, 2004

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Kansas City?