"Packing List" Johannesburg Packing List Tip by Krystynn

Johannesburg What to Pack: 14 reviews and 5 photos

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Here's one important tip I've learnt from my well-traveled and well-heeled buddies/ colleagues over the years: Always <u>roll all your clothes when packing</u>.... and you'd never have to worry about ironing again when you reach your destination.

<i>How do the clothes stay rolled up?</i>

Here's another trick I've picked up: Just cut off the legs of old panty hose. Put your hand inside one of the cut-off legs, grab that rolled up t-shirt and pull it through. And, <i>Voila</i>! My things stay rolled up like assorted sausages....

Basically, this is my important rule of thumb: DO also try and plan your wardrobe in such a way that you'll have no problem mixing and matching your outfits and it should be able to see you through from day to night. So in this instance, that little black dress WILL come in VERY handy for the night events AND in the day time too! :-))

Photo Equipment: I ALWAYS, ALWAYS bring along at least 2 camaras with me... just in case one breaks down. My friends used to laugh at me.... until their one and only camera broke down. Then when they had to RELY SOLELY on me and my amateurish photographic skills, they stopped laughing. Yes, immediately. Serve them right! :-D

Miscellaneous: If you are going to do lots of walking and sightseeing, do remember to put the following items into your tote bag or backpack:

- Maps and perhaps phrase books.

- Your all-important Guidebook.

- Water bottle.

- Sunglasses.... etc

DON'T forget to bring along your much-treasured ATM card to withdraw cash. Yes, no need to rush to the money-changers to change all your currencies into
South African Rand before your trip. <b><u>And DON'T use your Visa or Mastercard to withdraw cash. This is considered a CASH ADVANCE and you'd be slapped with a HEFTY fee whereas if you were to use YOUR own ATM card, you will NOT be charged for any fees.</b></u>

In fact, you WILL benefit and enjoy from the low interbank exchange rates. Trust me (I used to work for an American bank).

Just ensure that you adhere to the following steps:

- Flip to the back of your local ATM card, do you see the logos '<b>Cirrus</b>', '<b>Plus</b>', '<b>The Exchange</b>' etc. on it?

- If the answer is 'yes', then you have absolutely nothing to worry about!

- Why? Because you can withdraw cash from any ATM machines in South Africa, no matter how obscure the
town you're at is.

- If you use this method, you'd also save alot from the interbank exchange rates. Money changers will charge you much, much more compared to a bank.

I've been using this method countless of times before and so far, no ATM machines in this world have failed me.... yet. Yes, even in the remotest village of Africa!

Have a great trip!

<b>Photo Below:</b> That's yours truly at the lobby of the splendid 'Palace of the Lost City Hotel' here in Sun City.

'Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion!'</b> - Leigh Hunt (English Writer); 1784-1859

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Johannesburg?