"Trujillo" Spain Things to Do Tip by blint

Spain Things to Do: 1,013 reviews and 1,618 photos

Trujillo and Pizarro
by blint

Trujillo is the home town of the South American conquistador Pizarro. Whose statue you can see in the main Square.

Pizarro, in my opinion, is not a man to be celebrated as he was a greedy fool who was part of one of the worst parts of Spanish history. He captured and executed the Inca emperor and stole all his gold. Not to mention being part of the crew who managed to destroyed some of the worlds most important historical artefacts and history (oh, I forgot to mention they destroyed the entire Inca civilization too! How silly of me!).

I didn't enjoy my visit to Trujillo (against popular opinion). I saw many people take photos of their family in front of the statue which sent shivers down my spine. I also spotted a Nazi Swastika graffitied on to a wall which put me even more at unease. The whole sensation I got from the town was not good; the vibes were most definitely not friendly. It had a very closed minded feel to it.

Of course I'm sure there are many of you who consider Pizarro a hero, but to me I can't help think of all we lost when the Inca and Maya civilizations and historical documents were destroyed. They may have been violent civilisations themselves but they were incredibly intelligent and great mathemations.

I know I put this tip under my must see sections, but I didn't really know whereelse to put it! Maybe under warnings and danger would have been better. But then you have to see this place to believe it.

On a more positive note; it is a very well preserved old town.

Sorry if I have offended anyone or if some disagree, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. I also know the English have a horrible and violenthistory too.

Directions: Very near to Cáceres in the province of Extremadura in the west of Spain.

• Updated Nov 20, 2004

blint Used To Live Here!

“See the Real Country, not Touristland”

Have you been to Spain?