Pitsea Market and others: "East end and Essex market culture" Top 5 Page for this destination England Shopping Tip by sourbugger
England Shopping: 45 reviews and 39 photos
From Sourbugger's Basildon page :
'fell off the back of a van' mate,
...'fire damaged stock' mate.
Many people in Essex originally come from the East End of London. They may have been seeking a better life in the green fields of Essex, but the Market trader philosophy came with them.
Places like Pitsea Market are where you can really participate in the 'lifeforce' of local people. The market operates with about 200 stalls, 4 days a week in the centre of Pitsea's shopping area. Full details are available from the listed website.
Even the operators have few pretensions and use a mock-up to Del and Rodney's Robin Reliant three-wheeler (from the classic British Comedy 'Only fools and Horses') with 'Pitsea Market' on the side to help publicise the place.
You won't find any tourists here, and thus no stalls aimed at tourists, but if you anything from DVD's to Cauliflowers, then this is your place.
As an alternative, visit one of the vast 'boot sales' that operate at the weekend, just look out for signs on the A127, or elsewhere, directing you to some sodden field where you can purchase the contents of someone else's garage.
More Shopping in England (5)
More Reviews (109)
- See All A theme park firmly for children
- See All The classiest way to arrive...
- See All Monkeys in Safari parks
- See All A nation of seafarers
- See All One very strange and specialised museum
- See All Red, Red Wine...sang UB40
- See All Birthplace of the Beatles...
- See All SB's guide to the rest of the...
- See All Corn Circles, a message from little...
- See All What's in a place name ?
- See All A Newcastle Institution
Been to England?Share your travels with the world!
sourbugger's Related Pages
Have you been to England?Share Your Travels
Top England hotels
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- Blackpool Hotels
- 481 Reviews - 891 Photos
- Manchester Hotels
- 1740 Reviews - 4031 Photos
- Torquay Hotels
- 178 Reviews - 352 Photos
- York Hotels
- 1631 Reviews - 3984 Photos
- Bournemouth Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 462 Photos
- Scarborough Hotels
- 276 Reviews - 409 Photos
- Eastbourne Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Whitby Hotels
- 355 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Liverpool Hotels
- 1280 Reviews - 2297 Photos
- Birmingham Hotels
- 766 Reviews - 1269 Photos
- Chester Hotels
- 471 Reviews - 1183 Photos
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hotels
- 829 Reviews - 1629 Photos
- Newquay Hotels
- 139 Reviews - 274 Photos
- Brighton Hotels
- 902 Reviews - 1607 Photos