"Panoramic Views from the Pylon Lookout" Harbour Bridge Tip by aussiedoug

Harbour Bridge, Sydney: 209 reviews and 336 photos

One of many gr8 views
by aussiedoug

Today I went into town (aussiespeak for going into the city) with the express purpose of walking across the Sydney Harbour Bridge & catching the ferry back to Circular Quay. Seemed like the ideal morning out with beautiful blue skys, very few clouds in the sky & a maximum temperature of a bit over 25 Celsius.

Well the best laid plans of mice & me do indeed often go astray. Bu t not too badly in this case.

I was a bit late starting & taking lots of photos before I'd actually stepped foot on the Bridge walkway didn't help (either did stopping at Rozelle on the way in for brunch. lol!)

So at 11.30 I started off enjoying the blue sky & dazzling lateish Spring sunshine (yes forgot my hat didn't I!!!). A mere 5 minutes or so into the walk I came upon a sign saying Pylon Lookout so thinking to myself, "This could lead to some more beautiful photo opportunities" I decided to climb the 200 steps to get up to the Pylon Lookout.

And well worth it, it was for sure! Excellent views in all directions. Some great photos (if only my memory card reader & computer would co-operate I'd be able to tell!). Also very informative recreations using dummies & props to show us a little of what it was like for the workers without today's much stricter Occupation , Health & Safety standards.

You will get a lot of information about the facts e.g. It's a 2 hinged single span steel arch bridge, 1149m lon (including approach spans).
The hinges are necessary because on very hot day it can expand up to 18 cm. And lots more. It isn't a case of information overload though & there are some gr8 photos to go with it. My photo here is taken from one of theirs.

Address: On the bridge itself .
Directions: Yes as explained above, it's only about 5 minutes from the city side & you'll see the sign. Take advantage of this if you don't want to pay the big money for the Bridge Climb.
Phone: 02 9240 1100
Website: http://www.pylonlookout.com.au

• Updated Nov 12, 2004

aussiedoug Lives Here!

“"We must become the change we want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi”

Have you been to Sydney?