"Drinking Water: The water..." Rabat Local Custom Tip by Krystynn

Rabat Local Customs: 26 reviews and 36 photos

<b><u>Drinking Water</b></u>:

The water is <b>NOT SAFE TO DRINK</b> here in Morocco. So... don't even DRINK the FRUIT JUICES here (because once something has been mixed with water, it's 'contaminated').... One of my greedy girlfriends drank a glass of orange juice from our hotel's restaurant and she suffered from severe stomache for the rest of the day. <i>Sigh...</I>

In a restaurant, ask for a bottle of mineral water UNOPENED. Have them open it at your table and you can be sure you won't get local water ... bottled. :-)

Most people know how to ask for unopened bottled water when traveling in areas where the drinking water is
not safe, but they may not realize that it's all too easy to get sick from ingesting water while showering,
even if trying to keep one's mouth closed.

<i>The solution?</I> Always keep mouthwash in your mouth while showering. It will help you remember to keep your mouth closed and the antibacterial agent in it will help purify any water that gets in anyway (e.g. through your nose).

For me, I used mineral water (costing <b>10 dirhams per large bottle</b>... very cheap!) to brush my teeth and to wash my face. I don't want to take any chances because I don't want to fall ill in a foreign land.

P.S. The water is safe to the locals who are used to it. This doesn't matter if you're a resident of Morocco or the UK: remember, to the residents living in the country, the water is safe.... but not to the travelers! Our tummy's not accustomed to it yet. All water contains different sets of microbes and
mineral deposits, even in the US. If you aren't used to a country's drinking water, then you may get
sick just because it is different.

Be safe, buy bottled water cheap at the supermarket.

<bR>
Please also DON'T trust the locals in a developing country to tell you that their water is safe to drink. Again, for them, it is safe to drink. For you, it probably isn't. The price is small compared to what could be a disastrous effect on your trip by
drinking the local water. When in doubt, play it safe!

<B>Photo Below:</b> That's me bending down a little so I wouldn't block the lovely view BEHIND me.... Yes, that's the city center of RABAT.

Review Helpfulness: 1 out of 5 stars

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Comments

Krystynn

“There is beauty everywhere. Just put your heart into your eyes”

Have you been to Rabat?