Geja's Cafe: "Lincoln Park-Fondue" Top 5 Page for this destination Geja's Cafe Tip by Dabs

Geja's Cafe, Chicago: 7 reviews and 2 photos

I had heard for years that Geja's Cafe was one of the most romantic restaurants in Chicago. We had tickets for a show at the Park West which is on the same block so we thought we'd finally give it a try.

The setting is rather romantic, the lights are down low, the noise level not too bad, many of the booths are fairly intimate. You will, however, go home smelling like boiling oil.

This is not an inexpensive restaurant, most of the meal combinations were $30 and higher unless you got cheese and chocolate or chicken.

I didn't budget enough time for the meal, I thought 1 1/2 hours would be enough time, we were there for at least 2 hours.

Favorite Dish: We initially ordered the cheese and chocolate fondue special, I love cheese fondue and didn't want to overeat. But when the cheese fondue appetizer arrived for Lisa, we tasted it and it wasn't very good, we changed our order to beef tenderloin.

The meals start with a small salad, cheese fondue appetizer, main course of whichever meat you choose plus an assortment of vegetables, capped with a chocolate fondue and coffee.

The cheese fondue was a little heavy on the cheddar cheese, didn't taste like other gruyere/wine based fondues that I've had. It also seemed to be a bit gritty and had a strong nutmeg flavor. I didn't really care for it.

The beef tenderloin was very good quality meat and the 8 dipping sauces were all very tasty.

I was quite full by the time the chocolate dessert fondue came, they give you marshmellows to roast as the liquor burns off and a selection of fruits and pound cake to dip.

I haven't been to the Fondue Stube on Peterson in quite a few years so it's a bit hard to compare but I used to really enjoy going there. The atmosphere at Fondue Stube wasn't quite as nice but I thought their cheese fondue was awesome and the white chocolate fondue divine.

Address: 340 W. Armitage
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Armitage and Clark, close enough to walk from the Lincoln Park Zoo, next door to the Park West
Phone: +1 773-281-9101
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Other

• Updated Nov 8, 2004

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?