""VIP" minivans in Thailand" Thailand Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Figur

Thailand Warnings and Dangers: 218 reviews and 111 photos

Travelling from one place to another is very easy in central and southern Thailand. Minivans and buses gets you everywhere. But sometimes, when you book your journeys through hotels or travel agents, you might want to consider paying a buck more to get to your destination alive. We got ourselves tickets from Ko Lanta to Ko Pha Gnan at 450 bath, wich is very cheap. But the so-called VIP minivan that came to take us to Krabi was a trip from hell - the scariest thing I`ve ever done.

I was certain I would meet my maker due to this madmans suicidial motoring skills, like passing trucks on roadtops, going full-speed through traffic jams and driving like the devil himself was after him.

Being on schedual is by all means fine to me, but I do prefer to arrive alive. The bus trip from Krabi to Surat Thani was nice and comfortable, so was the ferry out to the islands. But that rude, mental I-break-for-nobody driver, almost had me writing my testament.
I have no idea how to ensure safe transportation in Thailand, but then again, this proves that hotel reception recommendations is'nt always the best. Or safest way to travel. Stick to your Lonely Planet book for hints and recommendations, it's usually very helpful.

• Updated Nov 8, 2004

Ranked Member

Have you been to Thailand?