"Mount Rainier National Park (Washington)" United States of America Things to Do Tip by zrim

United States of America Things to Do: 953 reviews and 1,331 photos

my first park
by zrim

This was my introduction to the U.S. National Park system. My sister has lived in Seattle for about 25 years now. In 1987 she took me to Mount Rainier. I was 22 years old at the time and had never had the opportunity to explore any of our tremendous national parks, it just was not an interest of my parents. I had never seen a bear or an eagle in the wild. A complete novice. We also ventured to Olympic National Park and I stopped in at Redwood National Park on a road trip to San Francisco--so I notched three that summer. But then I hit another dry spell that lasted a full nine years until the summer of 1996. The intervening years were taken up by law school, my first job in Springfield, Illinois and my marriage in 1992. I did not really have the time or the money to explore this great country of ours. But I've made up for lost time these past eight years visiting 25 national parks and another dozen or so national monuments.

As I think about the United States, I would say that I am most proud of our national parks. We were the world leader in conservation and I pray that we continue to have the good sense to be careful and alert stewards of these treasures.

• Written Nov 6, 2004