"Tremezzo: Nice Wedding Present" Top 5 Page for this destination Lakeside Towns Tip by tpal

Lakeside Towns, Lago di Como: 37 reviews and 83 photos

Villa Carlotta from the Ancient Garden

Villa Carlotta from the Ancient Garden
    by tpal
      Carol in garden gazebo w/Bellagio behind
    by tpal

It would be difficult to read about Lake Como in any travel guide and not hear about Villa Carlotta. Located in Tremezzo, the villa is certainly its centerpiece. It is a grand structure built on a hill with magnificent views of Bellagio across the lake. The gardens are vast, covering about 14 acres with a wonderful variety of foliage set in several garden themes. Carol and I are avid gardeners so we spent a considerable amount of time wandering about. We were particularly stuck with varieties of annual plantings used as they seemed identical to those we routinely find in New York State. Familiar but still interesting in their massing and combinations.

The villa itself I personally found a little less inspiring. The exterior seemed oddly plain up close. I say "plain" rather than "simple" which I usually enjoy. It's almost as though it was designed to impress from afar. The interior certainly was fancy enough but it didn't seem to warrant "No Photos" restrictions imposed. All in all, worth an inclusion as a Must See tip albeit not my first choice.

Website: http://www.villacarlotta.it

• Written Nov 1, 2004

Comments

tpal

“If you don't see it all you have a reason to return!”

Have you been to Lago di Como?