Mai Vietnamese Cuisine: "Having a Salad on a Flower Petal" Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Restaurant Tip by bpacker

Singapore Restaurants: 946 reviews and 1,240 photos

Salad on a Petal
by bpacker

Tip Update: Mai Cuisine has since been replaced by Song Trang Vietnamese Restaurant at the same location. They have a one for one deal right now for HSBC card holders (buy one set lunch get another free ) so I'll be checking this out soon enough. I'm not sure if this is the same management but everything on the menu still looks good.

It's hard to find good Vietnamese food in Singapore. It's as elusive as the Cheshire Cat in Wonderland since there are a slew of "Vietnamese" restaurants here that serve cuisine exotica with fancy prices to boot. Of course, you'll ask me immediately, what makes a good Viet restaurant right? Well, the litmus test of any Viet eating joint is always the pho. If the joint serves bad pho clogged with msg and too many layers of meat, you'll never see me there again. I had a horrendous experience once in Holland V and after a meal, it left me wondering what it was that I just ate. Noodle soup or a beef buffet? Well,
Mai Vietnamese Cuisine passed my test. It is by far, the most authentic Vietnamese Restaurant I've been to in Singapore with the biggest range of dishes ( 128 of them!) and prices are ok too!

Favorite Dish: Ah yes, Mai serves good pho bo. Soft, pliant pho, tender slices of beef and flavourful soup. Just like what I had in Pho Hua ( Ho Chi Minh City ) . The snails are just as good too, served whole in their shells with pork and bamboo shoot. But the star dish of this place has to be their salads. They have a variety over here ( Pomelo Salad, Green Papaya Salad, etc ) but my favourite has always been the Banana Flower Salad with Shredded Chicken. How could I resist? The lovely concoction of tender chicken pieces, peanuts, shredded banana flower and fish sauce is serve on a delicate banana flower petal. Here's a picture of the salad...

Address: 60B, Orchard Road, #01-16, The Atrium@Orchard
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Just take a train to Dhoby Gaut MRT. Exit at the Atrium.
Phone: 6837-2040
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim

• Updated Jul 31, 2006

bpacker Used To Live Here!

“Using HK as a springboard to see the world and eating fine as usual”

Have you been to Singapore?