"The fullness of nature at Lazienki Park!" Lazienki Park and Chopin's Monument Tip by dlytle

The beauty and tranquility of Lazienki Park
by dlytle

On the Sunday tour that I took in Warsaw, the very longest stop occurred at Lazienki Park. Now, I like walking and nature, but my first thought was ?what a waste of time when I want to see the historic Warsaw?. Was I ever wrong to think that and I am certainly glad that I was brought into this park!

Now there is no shortage of green spaces in Warsaw, but the best way for me to describe the former royal gardens of Lazienki is ?natural and elegant?. It was a glorious fall day, the park was aglow in the season?s brilliant foliage of yellow and gold and green, and we were in a veritable shower of softly twirling leaves falling to the ground. Red squirrels were feeding from the hands of children, ducks waddle across lawns, and swans and ducks were swimming in the stream and lake. The gardens are crisscrossed with tree-lined paths and there is a miniature island palace, a quasi-Greek amphitheatre; and a statue of Chopin to admire among all the other treasures.

This beautiful park is the perfect place for a leisurely stroll in any season but particularly in spring and fall. Lazienki Park and Palace, located surprisingly close to the city center, is a complex of gardens, parks, woodlands and palaces that were built by an order of Stanislaw August Poniatowski, the last king of Poland, and it became his summer residence.

Take my word for it, this is a beautiful place well worth visiting!

Address: Agrykola 1
Website: http://chopin.museum/en/information/visitors/id/222

• Written Oct 25, 2004

“Life is just one great destination after another!”

Have you been to Warsaw?