"Getting around in Hamburg and around" Hamburg Transportation Tip by alza

Hamburg Transportation: 123 reviews and 145 photos

Binnenalster
by alza

I drove into Hamburg in late afternoon, heading for the Youth Hostel. Was told to get on Ost-West Strasse til Landungsbrücken. I drove off, happy that I'd taught myself enough German to know I was looking for a bridge... but never saw a bridge.
No one I asked had heard of the Youth Hostel. I finally realised that Landungsbrücken is a landing, a promenade where people hang out.

I parked nearby & got various directions to the Hostel, everyone saying "just over there". With a huge backpack & arms full, I wish it had been downhill & not 15 minutes walk away! Especially since the Youth Hostel was full & sent me further "just down this road", to a hotel. Another 15 minutes. I didn't drive in Hamburg after that. But it was easy driving out of the city to Lübeck once, & to Berlin the last day.

The U-Bahn & S-Bahn were supposed to be complicated to figure out. I didn't think so. The whole public transport system is very efficient. A Tageskarte is good for all public transit & with it, the ferry to Blankenese is free.

The pic is the Inner Alster lake (Binnenalster in German), with the Alsterarkaden in the background. This is a white neo-Renaissance arcade with great shops & a beautiful view on the lake.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

• Updated Oct 24, 2004

More Transportation in Hamburg (1)

Comments

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”

Have you been to Hamburg?