"Holocaust Museum" Holocaust Museum Tip by Dabs

Holocaust Museum, Washington D.C.: 42 reviews and 52 photos

I hadn't planned on visiting the Holocaust Museum but when I contacted my Congressman's office to inquire about touring the White House with only a couple of weeks notice, they were kind enough not to laugh (security clearance alone take several weeks since the terrorist attack on 9/11) and in lieu of the White House set me up with a VIP visit to the Capitol and also VIP entrance to the permanent exhibit at the Holocaust Museum so I stopped by before my tour of DC with Kentbein.

I got there around 12 and only had until about 1:30 which was nowhere near enough time to view the three floors of the permanent exhibit much less the rest of the museum. The permanent exhibit is divided into three parts/floors: "Nazi Assault" which chronicles the events leading up to WWII, "Final Solution" and "Last Chapter" about the time after the war. The museum suggests allocating 2-3 hours to view the exhibit.

I thought it was an amazing amount of information-pictures, videos, lots of text-and covered aspects of that time period that aren't well known to those of us who studied world history in the US school system.

Address: 100 Raoul Wallenberg Place, SW
Directions: Metro Stop: Smithsonian The museum is 1 block from the station.
Phone: (202) 488-0400
Website: http://www.ushmm.org

• Updated Jun 25, 2005

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Washington D.C.?