All-American Travel Plaza: "Tired of the confiscatory King's Dominion prices?" Doswell Restaurant Tip by b1bob

Doswell Restaurants: 2 reviews and 2 photos

All American Travel Plaza
by b1bob

As I've said before, a good indicator of the quality of food served at a restaurant is how many trucks are parked there. This is one of my favourite places to eat. My parents thought it was better food for the money than the confiscatory prices in the park. When it used to be Jarrell's truck plaza, we would sometimes eat here after a long day at King's Dominion (my family had season passes from 1978-1984). However, although it's changed management and name, it still serves the same quality of food. Aside from the 24-hour diner-style restaurant, there is also a travel store, and some lodging, so this could be a restaurant, shopping, and hotel tip, but I'll be nice and only put it here.

Favorite Dish: Their menu offers a wide selection of American comfort food which many truckdrivers enjoy. When I was a kid, I liked the hamburgers and fries which were much better than McDonald's. The fries were the thick steak fries and, instead of putting ketchup on them, I used steak sauce. I still like that from time to time, but they also have good liver and onions here. More recently, Lee gipper84 and I had a late supper here just before witnessing the 4th of July fireworks display at King's Dominion from the truck stop's parking lot. Lee and I both opted for the $8.99 all-you-can-eat buffet. We each started with a salad and had fried chicken and Salisbury steak and sweet tea to drink, but I had the sausages and sauerkraut (rather like cassoulet) and collard greens. Lee kept trying to get me to try the ham. I'm sorry I did because it was the one thing here that wasn't up to scratch.

Address: On Route 30 near I-95 exit 98
Comparison: about average
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 4
Theme: Diner

• Updated Jul 5, 2005

More Restaurants in Doswell (1)

Comments

b1bob

Have you been to Doswell?