"The White Virgins Cave in Poike" Top 5 Page for this destination Easter Island Things to Do Tip by easyoar
Easter Island Things to Do: 305 reviews and 695 photos
Please see my travelogue for more details of this cave. It is an old lava tube and quite claustrophobic (it's only a few feet tall at the entrance and doesn't get much higher inside). There are petroglyphs carved on the walls inside, and the virgin who was to be awarded to the winner of the birdman competition was kept inside to whiten her skin (white skin was considered very desirable in those days). It must have been a horrific existence.
Directions: Read my travelogue or get a guide - it's tough to find!
More Things to Do in Easter Island (24)
More Reviews (28)
- Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!
- See All Sculptures on the back of the 'British'...
- See All The rapidly changing weather
- See All Mass on a Sunday in Hanga Roa
- See All Rent a mountain bike
- Buy at the Smaller places