Brother-in-Law's #2: "Has a new name: Lilly's" Top 5 Page for this destination Brother-in-law's Tip by Karnubawax

Brother-in-law's, San Francisco: 4 reviews and 3 photos

Go on in... it's okay....
by Karnubawax

It's impossible to miss Brother-in-Law's - just follow your nose. You can smell the delicious aroma from 2 blocks away. There are a couple of other BBQ places around the neighborhood, but Brother's is consistently voted either 1st or 2nd best in the City for BBQ by just about any poll (Big Nate's in SOMA is the other one).

Brother-in-law's has somewhat of a reputation for extremely surly service - especially to white people. I try to put myself in their shoes... this used to be a tight black neighborhood, and I'd probably be upset too if gentrification had driven out most of the people I knew. If it's any consolation, their service has improved in recent years; by improved I mean they won't say that they don't have any short ends when really they do, and they even sometimes smile!

Favorite Dish: The best thing they make by far is the short ends - the meaty part of the ribs. It costs a little more, but it's worth it. Second would be the brisket, and third would be the hot links. Their ribs are only OK (at least, compared to the shorts), but you may have to settle, because sometimes they run out of the shorts. I only had the chicken once and I wasn't impressed.

Their hot BBQ sauce is HOT - you can get the mixed, which, as you probably have guessed, is the mild and hot mixed together.

Brother's is take-out only. They have a table but you don't want to sit there. Don't even ask about a bathroom.

Brother's is usually open for lunch and dinner until at least 8, later in summer. They are usually closed on Mondays.

IMPORTANT UPDATE! After however many years B-I-L has been around, it's changed it's name! It is called "Lilly's" now. I poked my head in the other day and asked the woman if the food was the same, and she said the only thing changed was the name. Haven't verified that. I'll let ya know.

Address: Divisadero Street between Grove and Fulton
Comparison: N/A
Directions: Go to Haight and Divisadero, go north on Diviz about 3 blocks and sniff.
Phone: don't bother calling
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Barbecue

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Comments

Karnubawax Lives Here!

Karnubawax

““I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.” - Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to San Francisco?